News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Caddy oil filter NOS PF-30 or new Technology ?

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, March 03, 2021, 07:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello
   This is the time of year I change the oil and filter in my 70 Cadillac .  I can find the PF -30 NOS  probably 40 or 50 years old  ( concerned about the rubber seal )or is the better decision to go with a newer Frame or Purolator.  Or some other name brand . Keeping in mind I want what’s best for the car  and a filter that will do the best job .  Or am I over thinking the filter decision.  I have been using Classic car motor oil for the past 15 years . I am very impressed with its ingredients.

Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

chrisntam

I'd use a current Wix filter and not one 40 years old.  Things inside that you can't see may be broken down and will be flushed through the system.  Plus, those filters were prolly stored in an attic in Phoenix prior to being sold...

Just my $0.02.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

TJ Hopland

Wix is my go to to and so far never had an issue with one which I can not say for pretty much all the other formerly good big brands.   Napa Gold is made by Wix.  May not be in stock at every store anymore since they have not fit a new car since the mid 70's but should be at the warehouse so you can have it next day.   They were white forever but switched to black several years ago so if you get a white one its been on the shelf several years.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

On a listing dated 1987, the oil filter for a 1970 Cadillac was the PF-24.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Firstly CAUTION.   I have no trouble using old (New) oil filters, as some of my stock of them could be 30 years old, BUT, I know how mine are stored, but using one that is old, and of unknown storeage, that could be a problem.

I have a supply of PF25's, and one day I might buy a car that needs that filter.

Buying one from a dealer, one could also be buying one that has been on the shelf for many years.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I thought PF-24 was always the one in this era.   Anyone what the difference was between a PF-30 and 24?    Was 30 maybe the Cadillac one but with the move to make GM stuff more standard they went to the PF-24 that fit all but Chev?      The thread and the gasket must have been the same so what a little difference in height? Diameter?  Micron size?  Drain back valve?   Maybe Cadillac and Buick added a drain back valve early because of their front mounted oil pumps having longer pickups?

Seems like on one of the Cadillac engine sites some people (I may have even been involved in the research) put together a list of at least a dozen filters that would thread onto the big Cad engines.   A few were even common enough to find in stock at many stores.  Swap people were always looking for different options due to clearance issues.   I remember finding out there were only like 3 thread sizes for American cars and equipment and maybe 6 gasket sizes.  From there you got 100 different filters in the size and filtering size and then somethings things like drain back valve.   

And for Bruce the 25 was the Chev car engine filter.  Trucks usually used a taller version the 35.    It was interesting that as GM was trying to combine everything in the 70's there were little things like the oil filter where Chev was still different.  Or medium things like the bell housings.   Look at Ford who would maybe have a different oil pan year to year and model to model but only one oil filter,  didn't matter if you had the 460 in a dump truck or a Pinto, FL1A.     In the 80's especially with the cars you can see why there were more because they were trying to cram things in so sight so they had major clearance issues but in the RWD days things usually were not that tight.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

MaR

A WIX or other good quality filter is just fine. As for that "Classic Car Motor Oil", that just diesel oil with a different sticker on it. It's the same viscosity and everything. All diesel oils have more additives than oils that are for modern gas engines.

64\/54Cadillacking

Definitely Wix filters. They are still one of the best filters you can buy for the price. Frams are cheap garbage!!

I’ve also found that Purolators filters to also be very high quality especially if you can find the BOSS version which is the highest quality filter they have available and looks and feels superior to any Wix filter I’ve used. Next down the line is the Pur-One filter by Purolator as well which is a great quality sturdy filter for the money.

Champion filters at Pep Boys is another real nice quality filter.

But Wix is usually the default brand for a lot of people.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Been using AC Delco PF-24's for something like 40 years and have no complaint
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

I had an AC a while back that would not thread on.  Didn't really look like anything was wrong with it or the threads on either end.   I had got it from an indy owner operated parts store so brought it back and he too was curious so we went through all of that model he had in stock which was like a dozen and it looked like they were 3 completely different manufacturers and processes.   He then started digging into other models and same thing except maybe even signs of more different types and processes.   I did find some that fit.   We were never sure what the issue was, it seemed like the threads were either stretched or smushed a bit after they were cut or formed.   

This wasn't a PF-24 or 25/35 for that matter.   If I recall correctly it was for a Chrysler company car I had at the time but the same filter fit many years worth and models so it wasn't like it was a very new or odd ball.   Yes a little odd that it was an AC filter for a Chrysler but he said he sold a lot of em so it wasn't like I was the only one mixing brands.   THat was also one reason for checking some other model filters,  thought was maybe they just didn't care about Chrysler ones and the for GM car ones would be better but they didn't appear to be.   

That was when I started to loose confidence in the AC products and I have to say that its only getting worse.   The time I have gone with them I really get the feeling I paid a lot extra for a blue and white bag.  Many times you compare parts you can't find any difference down to where some sort of handing mark is or a seam from some sort of molding process.   Even the stamped identification date code  numbers are often identical.    I just hope they care more about the more current production stuff.   They sure don't care about anything more than about 5-10 years old.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

TJ Hopland

And on the Classic Oil,   they mention SL so its not just a major brands current common product because those now tend to be SN rated too.  About 3-4 years ago they seemed to make the switch from SL straight to SN.  The higher the letter generally means less of the 'good stuff'. 

SH is generally considered the line which was around 1996.   Likely had to do with OBD2 and the ever tightening emissions standards at the time.   Before and after that the changes seemed to be a lot more minor.   Also note that SJ is the oldest still certified by API and SJ was 1996-2001.   SN had a good long run from 2011-2020.  I didn't even know that we now have SP which started in May of 2020 so if you get a 2021 car it may require SP oil. 

Also interesting that that label on that classic stuff says API but at least on the photos we saw show the actual API logo / seal.   Maybe their API isn't the American Petroleum Institute?    Or like I mentioned above as long as you are not trying to claim your oil meets any current certification you can say anything you want and even reference obsolete API standards if you want to?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Jon S

Adding ZDDP or break in oil additive to the latest Dino oils gives you proper Zinc and Phosphorus levels at a much cheaper price than that pre-packaged stuff.  I’ve been doing this for years.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

David Greenburg

Sometimes hard to find, but I like Hastings filters.  Realistically, many of us are  probably all overthinking this given the way we use our cars.  We all want the best for our metal mistresses (and I’m no exception), but given how gently and infrequently the cars are driven,  pretty much any decent filter should be fine.  But I’ll still spend more for Hastings or Wix.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

35-709

Absolutely Wix or NAPA Gold (made by Wix). 
Fram is next to worthless.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    Maybe I wasn’t over thinking it . Thanks for your input I think the choice is clear. I ordered a new wix  filter today .  Also changing the fuel filter (wix)  was surprised to find out it is located in the fuel pump . I really like this time of year when the weather is getting a little better hear in Jersey . Day light savings time starts next week. We need a few good downpours to wash all the salt off of the roads .    I have a feeling by august we are going to be paying in the high 3.00 for gas if not 4.00.

Thank you for all your opinions,
           Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Scot Minesinger

Been using the AC Delco PF-24's for over a decade and no problems.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello , just had my wix fuel , air and Oil filter ship in today , ready to get this season going .Thank for your help .
     Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

TJ Hopland

I would do the fuel filter first.   By far the worst one to do.   For some reason getting the steel line loose so you can unscrew the big nut that holds the filter in is always difficult.   At least in the case of it being in the pump its not as fragile as the super fine threads into aluminum on the carbs but its a little harder to get to location.   I guess you could start draining the oil and then go to work on the fuel filter while its draining.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Bill Balkie 24172

Thank you TJ for the heads up
On the fuel filter . On the 57’s that I owned for  15 years the oil and filter were on top just  open the hood and you were looking at them .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Lexi

WIX products for sure. I am with Chris, and would not trust ancient NOS filters. Who knows what may break down inside them under operational conditions after having been stored for decades, (then have that crud circulate through your engine). Not for me. Clay/Lexi