News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1951 series 62 Automatic Transmission Fluid

Started by polonus, March 07, 2021, 02:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polonus

My 51 Series 62 sedan, slips between 2nd and 3rd gear. I suspect low fluid level. What kind of transmission fluid I need to use in this car? Original owner's manual says: Nothing but genuine "Cadillac Hydra-Matic Fluid" should be used, but I don't think it is still available. What can I use instead? 
I have no idea when the fluid was changed last time, should I rather changed it? And how do I do it?
In my garage:
1951 Cadillac Series 62 sedan
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7
1988 Fiat 126p
2008 BMW M3 with ESS Supercharger
2014 BMW 328 - my wife's
2 of 2015 Nissan Leafs - my kid's

savemy67

Hello Piotr,

If you have a genuine Cadillac shop manual, the procedure for checking the fluid level is in the manual.  The only thing I would add is that when the manual says the fluid needs to be checked with the car on level ground, it means level ground - no inclines or declines.

I have found that Dexron VI is backwardly compatible to 1949.  If you don't know when the fluid was last changed, or whether or not it was changed completely at that time, you may have to observe how the transmission functions with two or more different types of fluid in it.

I suggest you first check the fluid level as per the shop manual.  If low, bring the fluid to the correct level using Dexron VI, and observe the operation of the transmission.  If the fluid level appears correct, you may have other issues that are causing a slip between 2nd and 3rd gear, such as bad seals, bad clutch frictions or incorrectly adjusted or worn bands.

Sometimes the simple things solve the problem, so check the fluid level per the shop manual.  If you don't have a shop manual, I highly recommend you get one.  It will be the best "tool" you can purchase for your car.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

polonus

Quote from: savemy67 on March 07, 2021, 05:35:17 PM
Hello Piotr,
[...]  If you don't have a shop manual, I highly recommend you get one.  It will be the best "tool" you can purchase for your car.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter

Thank you for the info. I found the shop manual here: http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1949/1949%20Shop%20Manual/index.html and instruction for the trans oil check here: http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1949/1949%20Shop%20Manual/13-%20Hydra-Matic/image3.html  I'll let you know what happened tomorrow.
In my garage:
1951 Cadillac Series 62 sedan
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7
1988 Fiat 126p
2008 BMW M3 with ESS Supercharger
2014 BMW 328 - my wife's
2 of 2015 Nissan Leafs - my kid's