News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

51 series 62. No break lights

Started by polonus, March 07, 2021, 02:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polonus

In my 51 Series 62 stop lights and back up lights quit. I don't know if that is a related problem, or not. Light bulbs are OK, directional lights work correct. I have no idea if and where this car has fuses. It has 12V electrical system now, done by previews owner. Any tips how and where to look to fix that?
I don't care much about backing lights, but is good to have breaking lights, specially since my car has power disc breaks now and actually stops.
In my garage:
1951 Cadillac Series 62 sedan
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7
1988 Fiat 126p
2008 BMW M3 with ESS Supercharger
2014 BMW 328 - my wife's
2 of 2015 Nissan Leafs - my kid's

The Tassie Devil(le)

Were the lights working after the disc brake swap was done?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

polonus

In my garage:
1951 Cadillac Series 62 sedan
1972 Mercury Cougar XR7
1988 Fiat 126p
2008 BMW M3 with ESS Supercharger
2014 BMW 328 - my wife's
2 of 2015 Nissan Leafs - my kid's

harvey b

I would check the brake light switch,if its the one that goes in a "tee" on the line,they do fail from time to time.it is basically a off on switch,the fluid pressure forces the contacts together and the lights have power.It can be checked with a simple test light,they are easy to change,you unscrew it and quickly screw the new one in,you shouldnt have to bleed the brakes that way.Another thing have you checked the bulbs?,sometimes it is the simple things that happen,possibly the housing has corrosion in it too?.Possibly the signal switch could be bad too,do you have turn signals,they are the same bulb,the lights should run through the switch too. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

signart

Do your turn signals work? If so, prolly switch, it's not hydraulic - all electric. It could be dirty, but only cost about 12 bucks. Easy two wires, two screws.
Art D. Woody