News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

47 Cad rear main seal replacement with hydro

Started by Eric Voigt, March 09, 2021, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Voigt

I've searched the forum and found I need the MBZ seal # 0019971241 is there anything else needed?  This will be done in the car

It's been awhile since I installed the one in our 47 Derham (engine was out) and trying to get a refresher lesson

Eric
Eric Voigt

1941 Cad 60 Special
1947 Cad 7533 Derham Limo
1963 Avanti Supercharged R2
1966 Olds Toronado, Deluxe
1969 Dodge Charger
1971 Olds 442 Conv

Roger Zimmermann

Why don't you buy a rubber seal from Best Gasket? This is a retrofit for the rope and much easier to install.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

harry s

Looks like the seal is the Mercedes which is a modern replacement for the old rope type. I don't remember the material it is made of but they work well.      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bill Ingler #7799

Here is an old reference to the Mercedes seal      Bill

Eric Voigt

I dug through my inventory and found a new BEST oil pan set and the MBZ seal which I must have acquired for CCCA caravan years ago.  With this being a customer car, decided to buy a new pan and oil seal from OLSON's gasket (BEST).

The fun should begin once I have all the items in hand.

Thanks for the refresher,
Eric
Eric Voigt

1941 Cad 60 Special
1969 Dodge Charger
1971 Olds 442 Conv

Eric Voigt

What a nightmare this has been.  After dropping the pan, loosened the main bearings to lower the crank some AND loosening the connecting rods, there was no way the replacement seal was going in.  I even removed the hydro, to lower the crank more and that was to no help.  Wound up pulling the engine after damaging 2 sets of seals and destroyed 1 "sneaky Pete" set.  I even pressed the rope to the main cap and that didn't help.

I contacted Olson's gasket and there is no rubber replacement only the graphite new rope type seal is available.  Ordered a couple of replacements one for this job and another for inventory.  With the engine out and on the stand, disassembled the bottom end and with the crank out and the seal pressed into the main cap, the new seal fit perfectly into the block, trimmed the excess  dabbed some Permatex on each side of the seal and reassembled with assembly lube and sealed up should be good to go.  The assembly complete rotates at 30 ft lbs.  The engine does have the upgraded idler and oil pump assembly as well and should be good for years to come.

Engine trans go back in next week.  In retrospect, I wish I had just pulled the engine and not tried to do this in the car as I wasted a lot of hours fighting to make it work.

Just FYI.
Eric
Eric Voigt

1941 Cad 60 Special
1969 Dodge Charger
1971 Olds 442 Conv

Bobby B

The Graphite seal from BEST is a No-Brainer to replace the original rope seal. If installed properly, they just don't leak. Mine's been dry as a Bone....
                     Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH