News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Cadillac Presidential Limousine

Started by MJS, March 10, 2021, 06:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJS

I believe a friend has what he believes is a 1948 limousine that may have been used by the White House in 1948. Any information on what he may have will be helpful to pass along...he does not have a computer.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

It would be helpful for the members if there was more information.
From what you posted we can't really tell you anything.

Pictures of the following:
the data plate on the firewall
the car itself (all angles and the interior)

That would be a good start.  Is there any documentation
of any kind that leads your friend to think that this car
was a presidential limo?  Any paperwork, pictures, data
sheets, etc.?

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jim Miller

From newreels and photos, White House Cadillacs during this time period were prewar models. Without documentation, its hard to tell if it was a White House car. If so, it was short lived. In the fall of 1948 the White House asked a large Miami GM dealer if they would supply cars for Truman's vacation in Key West. They declined. The story goes that after the November 1948 election Truman told the White House garage to remove all GM products. Ford supplied the cars for the January 1949 inaugural festivities. The White House garage went on to order 10 1949 Lincoln Cosmopolitans. One was the Lincoln Cosmopolitan parade limo done by Dietrich. The 1949 parade limo replaced the 1939 Lincoln K parade limo.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

MJS

So I am attaching some pictures that I got with this the vin is 48-7533X.... Supposedly this has a tag somewhere on it with the department of Navy according to the owner but I could not find it to take a picture. I was told that they were in charge of security details at the time?

James Landi

Fabulous car... certainly deserving of a head of state. And yes, it would certainly be so great to know about its history-- the entire design and interior is writ large from a by gone American era.  Hope someone here comes up with "the history."  Fascinating,   James

D.Smith

Quote from: MJS on March 10, 2021, 06:10:37 PM
I believe a friend has what he believes is a 1948 limousine that may have been used by the White House in 1948. Any information on what he may have will be helpful to pass along...he does not have a computer.

I resized the image for you.    The body tag won't indicate a cars destination or use though.

There were always several limousines in the White House motor pool.   Not to mention all the ones used to shuttle around other Government VIPS that the President never sat in.     Without any distinguishing custom body work to make it different from any other car, the only way you will prove a car was in White House use would be a paper document with the VIN on it that matches the car.     And there is really no reason for such documentation to have been saved considering the number of cars they had in use over the years.   

Sadly a lot of people with old Limousines like to associate their cars with Presidential use and they come up with a story.   They see one similar in a newsreel from a Presidents visit to their area and then figures "Well this could be the car".   When in reality 99% of the time the limousines are flown to the destination ahead of the time and returns to DC later.   

Without paperwork, it's just a story.

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: MJS on March 13, 2021, 10:16:28 AM
So I am attaching some pictures that I got with this the vin is 48-7533X....

In 1948, the primary identification number of the car was not known as the VIN number.  Cadillac referred to it as the "engine number."  This number, which for this car will be in the format of '4875xxxxx', will fall in the range of 487500001 and 487503329.

Please note that 48-7533X is the model - or style - number: "48" for 1948, "7533X" is the model designation for Seven Passenger Imperial Sedan (the X was added in 1948 to indicate the presence of the Hydro-Lectric System). 

I hope this is helpful.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan