News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'76 Eldorado suspension

Started by mrmatthew, March 10, 2021, 11:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmatthew

I just installed KYB gas shocks on the front & Monroe MAX-AIR ADJUST shock absorbers  on the rear on my 76' Eldorado. It rides better but still pretty rough (my CD player skips when I hit a bump). What else I can do to get a smoother ride ?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Get your CD player checked, as there could be something wrong with it.

But, seriously, the Shockers shouldn't have any influence with the CD player, but, what tyre pressures are you running, as too hard a tyre will make the ride harsh.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Or slow down for bumps. ;)
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

mrmatthew

I just checked ...35# all 4. Manual states 28 front 24 rear...I'll try it out. Thanks!

64\/54Cadillacking

Go down to 27 or 28 PSI on all the tires, 35 PSI is too high, even 31 PSI makes my Classics ride rough in my experience for some reason.

The best soft shocks I have bought especially when I had my 94 Fleetwood and 87 Brougham, were the cheap Monroe-Matics which can easily be compressed with one hand. It’s geared towards comfort. Never liked KYB’s as they are tuned for handling.

If you can ditch the Max-Air shocks in the rear especially if you don’t carry anything heavy in the trunk and try to find the basic conventional blue colored Monroe-Matics for the rear, because this will definitely make a difference in riding softness. When i got rid of the Max-Air shocks on my 94 Fleetwood, the car rode much better and i didn’t feel the car being jolted every time I went over a bump or crack in the road.

Hope this helps. 8)
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

The Tassie Devil(le)

Matthew,

Is your car factory-fitted with the Auto Level Control (ALC)?

If the answer is yes, then you will need the inflating rear shockers as the ALC-equipped cars came with slightly softer springs, meaning that ALC had to work to maintain height.

If not, then the vehicle doesn't need the inflating rear shocks, unless one is carrying heavy loads in the trunk.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Yes, you'll need the air shocks to keep the rear end up--- and yes, it's ALL about the tire inflation.... with the torsion bar suspension, there's a good deal of vibration transfer if the tires are over beyond factory specs.   Been a good deal of discussion about this, but go with the factory specs, and also, get used to checking the tire inflation after every oil change.   You learn quickly, that everyone is an expert about this subject, but to attain that Cadillac ride with that suspension, stick with the factory specs.   If the level ride compressor isn't working a simple schrader valve "teed" into the two shocks and inflated to around 65 pounds will keep you level, fore and aft.    Hope this helps, James

mrmatthew

I reduced my tire pressure to 28# all the way around...I helped but nothing to brag about. I'm going to replace all the suspension related parts such as control arm bushings, ball joints , swaybar bushings...Since they're 45 years old (assuming they are original) it couldn't hurt. I will report back with the results. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

mrmatthew

Ok , just replaced all control arm bushings, upper & lower ball joints, front end aligned, new front shocks, new rear air shocks, new cv axles... It handles better, but still rides kinda rough unless I'm on a new super smooth road...Hit a bump, big clunk & my CD player skips. Any suggestions ?

A local shop claimed air bags could restore it to it's original " floating on a cloud ride" for $7500. I really didn't want to shell out that kind of dough to see if they are right. Anyone tried airbags ?

TJ Hopland

Where are they going to put air bags on a torsion bar front suspension?   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Just about everything above is 100% right on as far as setting up an Eldo suspension, but one thing you might check would be the motor and transmission mounts.  Also going through the entire undercarriage checking the tightness of all bolts might reveal some looseness causing the secondary jar when going over bumps.  Other than that if everything is set up correctly and knowing "harshness" can be a subjective issue, in the 30+ years my 72 Eldo, bought new was always smooth riding, in fact for my taste a bit too smooth.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

wheikkila

How old is the CD player? My 90 model skipped all the time. I finally set it off to be worked on and it quite skipping. They did some upgrading on the unit.
Thanks Wayne 

mrmatthew

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 21, 2021, 09:17:40 AM
Where are they going to put air bags on a torsion bar front suspension?

It's supposedly some kind of kit.. Maybe he was talking about installing them just on the back. Wasn't interested so I never really looked in to it.

mrmatthew

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on April 21, 2021, 11:15:23 AM
Just about everything above is 100% right on as far as setting up an Eldo suspension, but one thing you might check would be the motor and transmission mounts.
Greg Surfas

Good suggestion...I'll have them checked.