News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help me ID this vehicle?

Started by ByronWillis, March 12, 2021, 11:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByronWillis

Hey there Cadillac afficionados,
I am researching a murder case that occurred in June of 1958, and a key part of the case is the question of whether or not the victim could have died of carbon monoxide poisoning while sitting in the idle vehicle with the A/C running.

It would be great to know the exact make and model of this cadillac.  I have attached an image.

Byron

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

1956 Series 62 Sedan...with air.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

ByronWillis

Thank you!  Check out my other thread for important questions about this case regarding carbon monoxide poisoning here:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=163813.0

Lexi

Eric, looking closer it appears that the rear spear is of the more wide, solid chrome type which was only found on the 60 Special model. All other Cadillac models in 1956 had a more narrow chrome spear. Therefore to me, this looks more like a 1956 Cadillac Series 60 Special Sedan, rather than a Series 62 Sedan, although the poor quality of the newspaper photograph doesn't help. Byron if you wish I could post close up pictures of both and you can then be the judge. If you are in possession of a more detailed copy of the old photo, you may be in a better position to evaluate. Good luck with your research. Clay/Lexi

Edit: Looking at an enlargement, it also appears that the lettering on the trunk probably says "Fleetwood". The 60 Special was one of 3 models that year which had that lettering. The Series 62 4 Door Sedan model would only have said "Cadillac" on the trunk as it was not part of the Fleetwood "sub-set".

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I agree - Fleetwood Sixty Special in view of the decklid lettering and full chrome sheath of the rear fender flares (assuming they are). 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Fleetwood

The slimness of the center "B" pillar is further evidence this is a 60 S.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Lexi

Having read the above posts earlier, the wife said that "we were all nerds"! LOL. That said, I missed that "B" pillar observation Mr. Fares. I take my hat off to you Charles! Clay/Lexi

Mike Baillargeon #15848

With regards to the carbon monoxide poisoning....anything is possible but the car is only about 2 years old at the time, I would think it could idle all day long and not be a problem for the occupant....It looks like they found the car outside also.....something seems fishy....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon