News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Not getting fire to the plugs

Started by Bill Atlanta, March 19, 2021, 10:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Atlanta

Tried to start my 60 Eldorado and no spark to the plugs. I am getting 12v on both sides of the coil (should it have a lesser voltage from the resistor wire?) the "-" side of the coil goes to the distributor.

Pulled the coil wire from the distributor and held it close enough to the ground and no spark. I pulled the coil and replaced it. No help. I have a condenser on the coil that goes to the "+" side of the coil. The car did run about a year ago. Been in a dry warehouse.

Have not yet looked inside the distributor. This is next.

Parts house did not have a new condenser. Getting one tomorrow

Any ideas?
Bill
1920 Cadillac Phaeton 7 Pass Touring car
1941 Cadillac Series 62 (with 1978 7 liter underneath)
1956 CDV
1958 Eldorado Biarritz, Eureka Flower car, 2 Eldorado Sevilles, Limo Series 75, Fleetwood Special 66.
1959 Series 62 convertible
1960 Eldorado Biarritz
1960 Series 75 Limo
2016 SRX

V63

The external condenser on the coil is for radio reception. When the ignition is in

Message truncated 🤦🏻‍♂️👆🏼

TJ Hopland

You want to do the volt meter test on the coil when cranking the engine.   The voltage should come and go as the engine rotates.  When it stops you got a 50/50 shot it stops on or off.     If its steady on verify that the rotor is actually turning,  if it is and things otherwise look Ok in there (not full of water or critters) then I would suspect the condenser that is inside the distributor.  While you are in there give the points a cleaning.  If they are not bad a dollar bill is usually rough enough to polish them up. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Have you checked the wire from the coil to the distributor cap?
It could have a break in the inner core that you can't see.  Try
an ohm meter and see if it is OK.  It happened to me once --
on the highway.  It was cracked and shorting out.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

fishnjim

If you're just measuring "static" voltage, the voltage won't be lower.   V=IR needs current, "I".
It probably needs what we used to call a "tune-up".   New cap, rotor, points, plugs and wires.   Might as well change the oil while you're at it.   Check fluids.   The carb is probably dry too.
Once the contacts are used, when they sit, they continue to corrode.   A build up of corrosion(white stuff) lessens the spark.   If it's going to sit a lot consider switching over to electronic.

David King (kz78hy)

Points could have corroded.  Borrow Ann's nail file if you can get it in there and scuff up the contact points and check again for voltage.  I had this happen to me once.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

TJ Hopland

I too was going to jump right to dirty points but he says he is reading constant voltage so either they were closed and working when he was testing or he has a shorted condensor (my idea) or a damaged and shorted wire between the points and coil as suggested by someone else. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

I would start by connecting my 12V test light between the block and
the points side of the coil terminals.  The light should flash on and off
when cranking, if the points are good (I suspect they are not). 
good luck, Bruce Roe