News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

LED bulb conversion issue

Started by munson1578, March 22, 2021, 10:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munson1578

I swapped out my bulbs for LEDs in my 61.  Also, I used LED flasher relay.  Everything, including flashers work fine until I turn on headlights.  Then I have no more flashers.  Any idea of a solution?

J. Gomez

Quote from: munson1578 on March 22, 2021, 10:22:33 AM
I swapped out my bulbs for LEDs in my 61.  Also, I used LED flasher relay.  Everything, including flashers work fine until I turn on headlights.  Then I have no more flashers.  Any idea of a solution?

Eric,

Hmmmm there is no correlation between the turn signal paths with the headlights path if you follow the wiring diagram, so you issue is a bit perplexed. That is if your current wiring is original and no mods or changes were made.

The turn signal lights go through the turn-signal switch while the driving lights and headlights do not and they are wired directly to the headlight switch.

The +12V for the headlight switch is source from the direct feed while the flasher has it from the ACC from the ignition switch.

Now if the wiring was somehow changed there is no easy way to provide a logical solution unless you know what was change.   :(
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

wheikkila

Eric
It sounds like the power is back feeding into the turn signal system.
Thanks Wayne

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing I found out when working with LED lights is that they can only taker voltage in one direction, so if there is any "backfeeding", then this could be the problem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dn010

Been there before. When I converted to LEDs, I had all sorts of problems with the flashers until I installed LED load resistors (4, one at each indicator). If your problem is the LED flasher lights are on solidly with the headlights on, then you'll need to install diodes. Thankfully this wasn't a problem, just the load resistors were required for me.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

munson1578

Problem solved.  I needed load resistors at each flasher even though I had the recommended led flasher relay. 

Finndorado

With leds I try to keep in mind at least these facts.
- Led is a diode, leads current only in one direction.
- Led needs a serial connected load resistor, otherwise the circuit can be considered as shortcut (although many led devices already have a built-in resistor, often told in manual or sketch).
- Electricity is a strange thing (by Edison..I would remember ?)

Mika
1973 Eldorado convertible