News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac Steering column Gearbox Gaskets / Hydra-matic

Started by J. Russo, March 27, 2021, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

In a previous thread I mentioned that I was removing my steering column on my Series 63 for painting.
While I have it off, I would like to change the 2 gaskets in the steering column gearbox as I have some leakage. I read the instructions for steering gear in the '41 shop manual page 60 / figure 37.

Am I risking causing more harm if I just want to replace these gaskets?

Does the steering gear need to be completely readjusted to replace these gaskets?
I don't clearly understand some of the verbiage in the instructions (#2 Rotate steering worm until nut is in Center of Travel)

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Daryl Chesterman

John, no one has answered your questions, so I will take a stab at them.  I have never worked on the steering gear from a '41 Cadillac, but GM has used this style (recirculating ball) of steering gear for many years, and the R & R principles for them are the same.  By replacing the gaskets, you will want to go through the adjustments for the gear because the replacement gaskets might be a bit different on their thicknesses which would change the worm gear adjustment and the steering lash adjustment.  If the seal at the bottom of the sector gear  shaft (the shaft the pitman arm is attached to) is seeping or leaking, this should also be replaced so as to not have to do it later.

Your question (#2 Rotate steering worm until nut is in Center of Travel):  Look at the cross-section of the steering gear in the lower right corner of the picture and there is a line going up to the top cross-section that says "sliding nut"

Edit:   I had much more information but it was truncated