News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Eldo Custom

Started by rwchatham CLC 21892, March 21, 2021, 10:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwchatham CLC 21892

I am very curious to see what this one will do at auction being modified  will it be lower than stock or will it hit 400k ?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1953-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-CUSTOM-CONVERTIBLE-244626
R. Waligora

D.Smith

Interesting for sure.    I like that they went out of their way to try and keep it stock looking under the hood.

Seems like a car worth restoring to original, but it was saved not parted out.  That's a plus.

jdemerson

Thank you for posting.

Although not a fan of resto-mods, this one appears to be particularly well-done. The changes were made with a significant nod toward retaining the flavor of the original. Visually it's a 1953 Eldorado.  I wonder how the investment compares to what it would have taken to restore the Eldo to the standard of a 98-point authentic car?

It's hard to imagine it could hit 400K. But I suppose anything it possible...  Maybe 250K?

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

signart

I'm ok with the looks of everything under the hood, but that after market '55 Chevy steering wheel was an unnecessary short cut and sticks out like a sore thumb. I would have preferred the factory column also. That ididit column & steering wheel is in every after market catalog and on half the resto mod & street rods in America. Otherwise, I love it.
Art D. Woody

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: jdemerson on March 21, 2021, 11:18:10 AM

Although not a fan of resto-mods, this one appears to be particularly well-done. The changes were made with a significant nod toward retaining the flavor of the original. Visually it's a 1953 Eldorado.  I wonder how the investment compares to what it would have taken to restore the Eldo to the standard of a 98-point authentic car?

Agreed it does appear to be tastefully done.

As to the rest, it will probably follow the value trend that most resto-mods seem to follow: Highest value upon debut; decreasing over the long term thereafter. In other words, not the best long term investment if this is an important factor. But the individual buying such a car is probably not all that concerned about such matters whose main interest is modern car reliability (in theory anyway) with vintage aesthetics. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

The Tassie Devil(le)

Funny thing is I quite like the '55 Chev Steering Wheel, but then I am a bit biased, having had a '55 Chev myself.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

It is lovely, and lovingly executed... I'm wondering though-- why not a nod toward greater comfort with an a/c unit, and here, I'm simply projecting, "If I were a rich man," I would buy this one and drive it regularly, and I'd want an a/c unit to cool my jets when it's too hot. There's lots of expendable cash sloshing around, so i'd expect a large  final auction number.  How about the interior soft goods??    James

Vince Taliano #13852

CLC member Larry Good featured this car in his most recent 1953 Eldorado article in the March issue of the Caddie Chronicle.  View at http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/forms/CLCPR.2103Newsletter.pdf, pages 12-14.
Vince Taliano
CLC Potomac Region
www.clcpotomacregion.org (view over 3,000 pictures!)

rwchatham CLC 21892

Looks like it is on the docket for Saturday.
R. Waligora

rwchatham CLC 21892

Motor change and a sloppy undercarriage hurt it , fell flat at 145K.
R. Waligora

James Landi

Did someone get "a bargain?"   James