News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Installing new hydraulic valve lifters,need advice

Started by smilasm, March 30, 2021, 02:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smilasm

Hi.Need advice from experts :)
I am installing new hyd.valve lifters on my 56 365.Got them from CaddyDaddy.Do I have to soak them with fresh oil,or pump them with oil,or any other tricks before installing?
Thanks
Marius Smilas

1956 Sedan DeVille  http://bit.ly/1hsWhri

Roger Zimmermann

Is that a picture distortion? The lifter on the left is deeper than the new one on the right. With the new ones, you will need shorter push rods. You have probably lifters used for the 1957 cars/58.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have you installed a new Camshaft as well?

No need for doing anything to them apart from putting some break-in Cam Lube on the faces, and some grease on the pushrod end.   The oil will fill them up very quickly, but what I do is to prime the oil galleries using a Primer to turn the oil pump, which requires removing the Distributor.   My process is to prime, turn the crankshaft, 45 Degrees, Prime again, turn another 45 Degrees, prime again, repeating the turning and priming until 2 full crankshaft revolutions have been performed.   This way every internal part will be primed, including all the Cam Followers.

Without the oil hole in the seat of the new ones, how does the pushrod ends get lubricated?   Or doesn't that matter?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

smilasm

Roger,it's only the lifter housing longer on the old ones,but measuring from push rod hole is about 1,35mm new ones longer.
Bruce,the camshaft is old and I do not have a tool for turning the oil pump.And I don't know how the pushrods will get the oil :)
Marius Smilas

Roger Zimmermann

The distance from the seat to the base of the lifter or from the seat to the end of the push rod should be the same. If not, you'll get problems.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

smilasm

Roger,If the distance from the seat to the base is 1,35mm longer on the new ones,it's not good also?

Bruce,I think there are pushrods with the holes through them for lifter seat oiling from the top.Probably I will have to buy a set of them also.
Marius Smilas

Roger Zimmermann

No, it's not good. You got wrong lifters. Buy your lifters by Terrill Machine, this company does not make errors like the other one.
Maybe take contact with your supplier first; they should replace the lifters at no charge, even for the shipping.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: smilasm on March 30, 2021, 03:14:37 AM
Bruce,the camshaft is old and I do not have a tool for turning the oil pump.And I don't know how the pushrods will get the oil :)   
The problem with installing new Cam Followers on an old cam can lead to catastrophic and abnormal wear to both parts.

One question is why are you replacing the Cam Followers?   Were they worn out?   Noisy?   What is the condition of the bases of the old Followers?   Flat?   Badly dished?

Can you see the condition of the Cam Lobes through the Follower bores?   Check each one, and if one is worse than the rest, then the Cam really needs replacing.

These engines have a pressurised oiling direct to the Rocker Arms, and therefore do not rely on oil coming up through the Pushrods.

For priming the system, I made up a Priming Shaft that replicated the Oil Pump drive at the bottom, that is replicating the bottom of the Distributor Drive, without the teeth, and I pushed a Socket onto the top so that I could use a Speed Brace to turn it.   It must be turned Anti-clockwise, and at the time, I didn't have a reversible battery drill.    I inserted a Roll Pin in the bottom to stop the primer from going too deep onto the drive, and thereby jamming and pulling the shaft out at the completion.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Marius,

As Roger noted if you got a new set of hydraulic lifters those are the newer type which got changed for the 1957 and required a different push rod per the Serviceman Supplemental in March 1957.
The newer push rods were 0.187 inches shorter than the original one for 1956-1957 to accommodate for the higher plunger on the lifter. The older rods have two groves on one end going to the rod cup while the newer ones do not and can be place either way.

These are commonly advertised as fitting 1956 and they do but not with the older push rod, so you will need a complete set rods and lifters.

I usually place the new lifters in a container fill with oil and just let gravity fill them no pumping needed until ready to install them.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

smilasm

But the new lifters are longer from push rod seat to the base about 0.053in :) I have bought them exactly for 1949 to 1956 and early 1957.Only the body of the lifter is shorter.
Marius Smilas

Roger Zimmermann

insert one push rod into one old lifter and one rod into one new lifter. If they don't end at the same "altitude", the new lifter are not correct.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

V63

I always soaked lifters in oil
and depressed them until they
Pump up

smilasm

OK guys,problem solved :). The sound was from exhaust manifold gasket, who said so where right :). The valve lifters just fit perfectly,engine now much quieter, no knocking on cold start. Looking around to borrow ignition setting lamp to make correct tuning and ready for the summer. Do I have something important to know to tune the ignition perfectly?
Thank you all very much for the advices.
Marius Smilas

Lexi

Attached is the first page of a set of 1956 Cadillac Tune Up specs. Clay/Lexi

James Landi

Marius,

I'd check the vacuum advance for diaphragm leaks. I BELIEVE (check to make certain) that the advance has to be disconnected to use a timing light to accurately set the timing. So if that's the case,  It's a bit more challenging on the 56's as they installed a steel piper instead of an 1/8 rubber hose to connect the advance to the intake manifold.  So if you purchase the proper hose barb and temporarily screw it into you vacuum advance and add a length of 1/8 hose, you can easily suck on hose and determine if the diaphragm has a leak. These advances have a limited service life, and are easily overlooked as part of the tune up.  Having a working advance makes a significant difference in the way your engine runs.   Hope this helps, James

smilasm

Marius Smilas