News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'76 Eldorado Heater Core

Started by mrmatthew, March 31, 2021, 01:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmatthew

Heater core in my '76 Eldorado started leaking...I bypassed it, the shop manual shows that most the dash has to be disassembled to replace & I plan on doing it right...But just wondering why couldn't the core be attached to the firewall with a bracket under the hood & reconnected ?

The Tassie Devil(le)

If only it was that easy.

These units are an integral part of the whole Climate Control System, and as everything with modern cars, nothing is simple.

Following the Shop Manual, step by step, is by far the best way to go for anyone that isn't sure of what they are doing, and even for those that do.   Nothing worse than missing a step, and having to go back over and try to rectify the oversight.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Matti R

Quote from: mrmatthew on March 31, 2021, 01:00:15 AM
Heater core in my '76 Eldorado started leaking...I bypassed it, the shop manual shows that most the dash has to be disassembled to replace & I plan on doing it right...But just wondering why couldn't the core be attached to the firewall with a bracket under the hood & reconnected ?
Incoming air has to flow through the core in order to get warm. If the core is installed under the hood, it would not warm the air at all.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

smokuspollutus

The 77-92 RWD all have the core under the hood and is easy enough to replace. But on a front whee drive, the engine is offset to the rear passenger side of the engine compartment, making it basically impossible to fit the core in there.

Matti R

Quote from: smokuspollutus on March 31, 2021, 08:59:08 AM
The 77-92 RWD all have the core under the hood and is easy enough to replace. But on a front whee drive, the engine is offset to the rear passenger side of the engine compartment, making it basically impossible to fit the core in there.
Seville 76-79 is RWD and does not have core under the hood.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Matthew,
Like a lot of people here I read the service manual;s procedures and decided that I had an easier way.  I found out the hard way that doing the change-out, step by step EXACTLY the way the service manual suggests is the easiest way.  A lot of work but if you want heat without wet feet this is what you need to do.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

jagbuxx #12944

Yes it is a bit difficult and awkward of a job and do follow the manual. However, please note the manual states to remove the 4 bolts holding the core, Correction! There are 5 mounting bolts. The 5th is hidden a bit to the right side. Knowing this ahead of time will save you some frustration.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

joeinbcs

I did the heater core replacement on my previous '76 Eldorado convertible, following the FSM and the advice of Gerald Loidl (https://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/tag-1974-cadillac-repair-tip.php).
My mechanical skills are fairly modest, but I did this job in the factory specified 12 hours.  The only glitch I experienced, aluded to above, was the existence of a fifth bolt...once I figured this out, it was pretty straight forward. 
I'd heard this was a terrible job, but it wasn't really that difficult as long as you take your time and label all the parts you take off.
I just kept my phone handy and took pics of every step so I'd remember how to put things back together.
Don't be afraid of this...If I can do it, anybody with attention to detail can.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

bcroe

I have done it on most of my cars, the FWD cars being by
far the most difficult.  Probably removing the passenger
seat would help a lot. 

I loosened or removed bolts on the steering column and let
it drop to a support some inches toward the drivers (in USA)
seat.  I undid the several bolts holding the dash, but did not
disconnect anything.  I put a support wire from the door frame
to the dash right side, and just swung it out a few inches. 
That gave enough clearance (crawling on the floor) to change
the core, then just push the dash back, re secure the column. 
Worked on more than one front driver. 

Ask me how to change a rear axle without disturbing the brakes.
Bruce Roe