News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Flat towing a hydramatic car

Started by txturbo, April 01, 2021, 10:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txturbo

Is it possible to flat tow a 56 hydramatic car without damage? Does the rear pump supply fluid to the internals when towing with the rear wheels on the ground?
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

Cadman-iac

I'm no expert on these transmissions, but I do know that you can actually start the car if you put it in gear after getting up to around 25 mph or so.
I don't think it's a good idea to go more than a few miles if even that. The rear pump does move the fluid, but I'm not sure if it will supply the entire transmission with pressurized fluid.
This is where your service manual comes in really handy.
How far are you planning on going?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

signart

Earlier hydramatics ( pre '56) could be towed a short distance after well broken in. The '56 manual says DO NOT TOW without propeller shaft removed.
As stated above, can be pushed a couple blocks.
Art D. Woody

txturbo

I want to tow it behind my bus. I
D. Roden
1956 Coupe De Ville PINK
1963 Cadillac Sedan De Ville

Cadman-iac

Quote from: txturbo on April 01, 2021, 12:26:31 PM
I want to tow it behind my bus. I

Not sure what else you wanted to say,  but if it were mine,  I would be using a good trailer for that, for two reasons. One,  so you aren't adding mileage to the components that are still rolling as you go down the road,  and two, so that in case something should break and you can't get it fixed where you are, you can bring it home and work on it once you have the parts.

Rick
CLC# 32373

signart

For that matter, there is no good reason to flat tow a '56 Cadillac farther than you can push it by hand.
Art D. Woody

Cadman-iac

Quote from: signart on April 02, 2021, 11:04:50 AM
For that matter, there is no good reason to flat tow a '56 Cadillac farther than you can push it by hand.

And if it's me, that would be about 5 feet, lol !
CLC# 32373

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I don't know about 1956, but most other years the owner's manuals recommended disconnecting the drive shaft if you were going to flat tow. I recall reading that flat towing causes the transmission to heat up without circulating the fluid. You can burn up your transmission that way.

In other words, don't even think about it!

TJ Hopland

Once they got rid of the rear pump that is for sure the case but since this car still has one the question seems reasonable asking if the rear pump will lubricate the whole transmission or was it only designed to do parts of it.  As mentioned above the reason for the rear pump being there was so you could push start.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason