News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1937 Fog Light mounting

Started by Tom Kelly, April 02, 2021, 02:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Kelly

Now this may seem like a problem that would have an easy solution but I want to do it right, like it would have been done in the '30's.
I have had a '37 7019 for years and try to correct an item or two each year and this winter I bought the correct front tag mount, now my fog lights won't fit. These fog lights are after market and mount with the standard type clamps that clamp on the bumper bracket and use a 3" or so offset so the light can be adjusted to either side somewhat. Well, now with my front tag in the correct place, the fog light is half covered by the tag.
Question is, how do you all mount the fog lights? longer offset bracket? Photos would be nice. Thanks

harvey b

Back in the day when these cars were new,you were only allowed 1 fog light,you werent allowed to have 4 lights in front.That was the rule here in Canada anyhow?.That seems to be the reason they are so hard to find in pairs.I have a pair i found for my 37,but im planning on just running 1.Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

harry s

Hi Tom,  I had the same issue. When I got my car the fog lights were on but no front tag. The original front mounting bracket wouldn't work so I had to fabricate one. I since have taken the fogs off and put the original front tag mount on with the license plate. I'm not aware of any US law limiting the number of front lights at the time. Maybe some states did.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Tom Kelly

Harry, in your avatar I can see your tag is mounted way off to the side, mine was close to that also. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to just go without them as you did. I was thinking about making extended "offset" brackets but if I did that on both sides the lights would be very close together, and that does not look the best.
Harvey, I have never heard of the one fog light rule either but in the "hotrod" world some guys do run just one fog light this may be where that style came from, thanks for the info.