News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado convertible front side markers not working on both sides

Started by Michaelangelo P, April 02, 2021, 11:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelangelo P

Hello All

Hoping someone could help. My 1976 Eldorado convertible front side markers on the front fenders are not working on both sides for some reason. They have never worked since I purchased the car about a year ago and the car has no corrosion anywhere on it. Was always climate controlled and is in very good shape but i want to get the side markers working. I checked the bulbs and they are fine but wonder why both would not work all bulbs are good but not working. 

I do have voltage and it bounces naturally when the signal is on but only to 10 volts at the highest then off then 10 volts and off as it should when flashing but won't light up. Is it because it is not receiving the full 12 volts? but why isn't it?
Any help if you had this happen before or a first place to look would be greatly apricated.

Thanks
Michaelangelo P
Michaelangelo Pasquali

The Tassie Devil(le)

Are the Non-Indicator marker lights working when the Park lights are on?   And are the Cornering Lights on when you have the headlights on and the indicator arm turned to the left or right, and the Ignition on?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Are you in Europe? For some reason, most European countries don't like the way the side lamps are working and most of the time they are disabled.
To reconnect them, have a look in the circuit diagram from the shop manual. You don't have one? I will never understand why people with an old car don't have one. I even buy the shop manuals for the scale models I'm doing!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Matti R

Hi Michelangelo,
I have similar problem on left side in my 71 Eldo: voltage comes to bulb but it is only about 10 volts which is not enough to light it up. I haven`t had interest to study it deeper yet. Probably there is too much resistance somewhere in wires or connectors. Yes, I have the service manual and all connections are according to that.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

TJ Hopland

Are you reading this 10v with no light bulbs installed?  Or with them in place?   If they are in place 10v should be plenty to tell the light is on.   If no bulb in place then its got to be a lot of resistance somewhere and your meter just doesn't put enough load on to have the resistance be an issue.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Michaelangelo P

Hi

I am reading 10v with no bulb in place, they do not light when installed. The non indicator does not work either so both the non indicator and signal side markers do not operate on both front fenders.
Thanks
Michaelangelo P
Michaelangelo Pasquali

TJ Hopland

I suspect if you tested with bulbs in place you would get a much lower voltage.     Do you have a test light or maybe build one?   The idea is you go around to various places with one side of the test light connected to a known good positive and see what happens.    You then switch to a good ground and see what happens.   This should tell you if you are looking for a bad ground or a bad positive.   

The reason you do this with a light rather than a jumper wire is that with a light if you do find a + to - connection all that happens is the bulb lights.   If you did that with a jumper wire you get a bang.    The light also puts a real load on similar to what it would normally be doing so you don't get lead in the wrong direction like you can with a meter.

And for all this we are talking real old school light bulbs, not LED's.   If you are messing with LEDs its a whole different set of possible issues. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason