News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Front lower Control arm Bushes/ Rubbers

Started by DouglasM, April 03, 2021, 10:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouglasM

Hello from cloudy England. I have a question regarding replacing the rubber dust shields on the front lower control arms on my '49 Sedanete. A few years ago we replaced the bushes and inner shafts but the kit didn't include the rubber dust shields which are a but past their best. We now have a set of new rubbers and are trying to determine if we can simply remove the outer bush, gently lower the control arm end off of the shaft and swap the rubbers. It is worth mentioning that the engine and trans are out of the car at the moment so there is considerably less loading on the springs. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

- Douglas

Jay Friedman

If understand correctly you want to remove the end bushing and lower the control arm to replace the rubber seals without the weight of the motor and trans. 

If you will be using a floor jack under the lower control arm to control the lowering of the spring, without the weight of the motor and trans, there is a danger that the spring will just push the car up.  To guard against this, wrap a strong chain around the frame above the spring and under the jack. 

I do this even with the motor and trans in the car to be absolutely sure.

Is this the inner or outer lower control arm? 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Rossoroo

Hello from British Columbia,
I had my front shocks rebuilt a few years back which is part of the upper control arms.
Getting the new dust seals in is a bit of challenge. As a matter of fact I damaged one in my struggles and should replace it at some point.
The problem is there isn't much in the way of room left once the steering knuckle support is placed between the upper suspension arm. I attempted to hold and manoeuvre the dust seals with string with limited success. Once you start pushing the eccentric pin through the dust seal start getting in the way.
If I was to do it over again I think I would try fabricating a couple of short dummy shafts out of dowelling that would hold the seals in position in the control arm and would move through as the eccentric pin was persuaded through behind them. I'll attempt a sketch of my plan "B"
In the mean time maybe someone who knows the trick to this juggling act. will chime in.
I've attached a photo of the finished right hand side, You can see the blemishing on the left hand seal. I believe the seal on the left side didn't fare as well
49-6269 My First Caddy