News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fan Belt Adjustment 37-48

Started by las39, April 04, 2021, 06:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

las39

Some advise please

Searched the forum and all my manuals and just can't figure out smartest way, or which tool to adjust the fan belt bracket upwards. There's a notch on the bracket and presume it's a special tool.

How did the factory adjust these? How do you? Crowbar? :)
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Jamurray

Yeah, it's no picnic, but I use a long large screwdriver or whatever I can find to keep tension on the belt. You want to see about 3/4" of play in the belt, but I settle for whatever I can get.

LaSalle5019

I made this tool out of a piece of 3/4 inch steel angle iron. The bolt end is used to pivot off the top of the timing chain cover and is adjustable to increase the length of the pivot point as the belt stretches.  The extra hole serves no purpose unless you need to service the clutch throw out bearing in your 1923 Studebaker Light Six (I repurposed the piece of angle).

I agree that adjusting the fan belt is no picnic as you try to hold tension on the belt while tightening the fan support bolt with a 15/16 inch open end but this tool sure helped. Just getting the picture in my 1939 LaSalle was a bit of a pain.
Scott

las39

Thank you both .
Scott your idea is really neat. Yes I know, the front part of a 39 is really tight . Appreciate
it .
I would like to see other input. Hopefully someone has a factory tool
1939 LaSalle 5027
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

V63

I put a folded towel On the bare carb and another on core support. I rest the span with a long enough 4x4 or Adequate pipe. Then I wrap a 1" ratcheting tie strap around generator and ratchet it up to appropriate tension. Then tighten fasteners. 👍🏼

V63

Ever since I started imaging my post? My messages do not truncate?

las39

So after a lot of searching, I found adjustment procedure in TM 9-732B 75-mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M8, 1944 . page 156

Here is the instruction:

b. Adjust Fan Belt. Reaching through engine compartment rear
door, loosen mounting nuts holding fan bracket to engine front cover.
Raise or lower fan and bracket assembly by prying with a large screw
driver between the front cover casting and fan bracket until there
is between s/&- and %-inch slack in belt, measured by pushing inward midway between the two pulleys (fig. 60). CAUTION: Do not pry
on flywheel pulley. Tighten mounting nuts securely and check adjustment.

I must confess I'm a bit disappointed :-\ 
1939 LaSalle 5027
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert