News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 series 62 not charging

Started by Tcal, April 05, 2021, 08:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tcal

When my 1941 series 62 is cold it will turn over and start great. After it runs and gets shut off it turns over slow and sometimes wont start. I think the starter has been rebuilt. I replaced the battery, voltage regulator, and had the generator rebuilt. When the car is running it reads 6v at an idle,  when I give it gas it doesn't go up. What else would make it not charge?

Ohjai

First thing I would do is polarize the generator,  Then check the obvious things like; loose fan belt, loose or dirty wiring connections, proper wiring connections  on the generator and regulator.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

39LaSalleDriver

Jim's recommendations are good ones, but I'd add to make sure your battery cables are big enough too. I had some 0 gauge ones made up for my 39. Also, make sure all your grounds are good and clean. That is good practice regardless.

You state that

Quote from: Tcal on April 05, 2021, 08:02:38 PM
When my 1941 series 62 is cold it will turn over and start great. After it runs and gets shut off it turns over slow and sometimes wont start.

Are you sure that you don't have vapor lock? That is a classic symptom of it. If you establish you don't have vapor lock, your next move is to look at your electrical setup. Since your starter is working, I doubt that is the problem, so I wouldn't worry about it so much.

The first thing you want to do is to isolate and test your individual components. I'd start first and verify your battery is good. Even new ones off the shelf can be defective.

If all is good there, next I'd make sure your generator is actually working. Perhaps the rebuild wasn't done correctly, or perhaps you've got it wired in wrong. Don't assume your ammeter is actually working, check it at the generator itself.

Also, verify that your generator and voltage regulator are compatible. I know on my 39, they have been changed because the voltage regulators were a one year only model, and are so rare (and proportionately expensive) that someone replaced my generator from a 42 car so they could use a more commonly available regulator. And I might add, I'm glad they did. The generators basically look the same, but it's a lot easier and cheaper for me to get a replacement when needed. I'm guessing your generator should be a 1102661-686 model which would require a 118202 regulator.

After you've established your battery and generator are in good shape, then I'd check your voltage regulator. Again, those can be defective off the shelf. Lord knows I've done my share of chasing around problems on them. Honestly, I've found better performance out of NOS regulators. By the by, also verify you've got it wired in correctly too.

Perhaps others would do these steps in a different order, but that would be my order of elimination to find the actual problem. Something else to consider, how old is your wiring? Any possibility that it is old and broken?
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Tcal

How do you polarize the generator?

wheikkila

Here is a link that shows how to polarize your generator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPUfQtVEJGg
Thanks Wayne