News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 door panel retaining hardware. Been reproduced??

Started by Bob Hoffmann CLC#96, April 10, 2021, 12:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I'm  asking about both the metal clips that attach to the door panel & the female receivers that mount in the door. Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

79 Eldorado

Hi Bob,
Your description sounds similar to (same as?) what was used by Chevrolet in 1970. If they are the same they are being reproduced. The ones I'm thinking of are a plastic cone which pushes into the door sheet metal. They mate to a metal clip which slides in an oval slot in the cardboard door card. The metal clip has a tongue which then goes into the plastic cone.

If it's the same or similar one note. I replaced one of my cones and realized the originals were still in perfect shape and the replacements were difficult to insert. So I ended up keeping the original plastic cone and using the metal clip only. I also compressed my metal clips slightly as they were difficult to push into either cone and I needed to partially install and remove several times for properly fitting a replacement door card.

I found a pretty good photo of the ones I'm thinking of from Summit Racing.

Scott

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Scott,
Thanks for your post. If I remember correctly, the holes in the Cad doors have a bath tub shape to them. Not round. Has no one on this board ever had  to address those retainers???
Bob

79 Eldorado

Bob,
The Chevrolet, at least the ones for the 1971 Chevelle, panels also have an oval or bathtub slot. You need to be able to fit that entire head, which is an elongated clip, into the "bathtub" and then slide it over the edge of the tub shape.

Scott

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Scott,
Do you have a link for those??
Thanks, Bob

79 Eldorado

Bob,
Here's the link to Summit Racing. There are other sources as well and based on my experience I would leave your plastic cones in the door and buy only the new metal parts.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-k6581

If you have any of you originals we can also verify the measurement. I'm having a lot of window tip issues on the passenger side so I still have the parts I could measure if you need me to. My window tip has been a big deal. I know where all of the adjustments are and it's almost as if the aftermarket glass I bought has too much of an inward curve to adjust to.

Scott

Daryl Chesterman

Bob, if you can't find exactly what you are looking for, the website below might have what you need as it has many, many automotive fasteners, clips, retainers, etc.

https://onlinecatalog.auveco.com/Auveco-Catalog/10/

When the website opens, there is a table of contents that opens on the left side, and you can scroll down through it.  As you get toward the bottom it shows "Domestic Clips and Fasteners" and if you click on that, another window opens up that shows automotive manufacturers and you can click on General Motors.  This will open up to body hardware for GM vehicles.  Alternatively, if you know the GM part numbers for what you need, you can click on the "search" tab on the side of the Table of Contents window and enter your part numbers in the 'search" window.  Also, at the bottom of the Contents page, there are two listings for OEM interchanges.  Even if you can't find exactly what you are looking for, by knowing what you are trying to accomplish, you might find something that will do the same job as the OEM parts.

If you still can't find what you are looking for, you could call Auveco to talk to them about what you need.  They are the largest supplier of fasteners, etc. to the automotive industry.  This is their home page:

https://www.auveco.com/fasteners

Daryl Chesterman

Cape Cod Fleetwood

John Abend probably has a box of these somewhere. Go to the facebook page "1965-1970 cadillac collective", or someone else there does. Or try Jeff Burland.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

klinebau

I looked for these clips for years and could never find an exact match for the '70 Cadillac.  The original clips are very unique and there are some posts here that show the differences if you search.  I was able to find the original plastic retainers, however.  I found that the new style clips using the old style retainers did not seat and they didn't hold the panel very well.  I ended up using both parts of what Scott linked above.  I squished the new round plastic retainers in the bathtub-shaped holes.  With this system, the new clips held the door panels well enough.  I tried at least 20 different combinations and this worked the best by far.  YMMV.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

79 Eldorado

Kurt,
I didn't catch that the plastic part goes into a bathtub shaped hole until I read your post. I was thinking Bob meant the oval shape in the door card. It would be good if someone could post a photo of the actual parts.

Scott