News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Fleetwood differential

Started by doug neff, April 11, 2021, 04:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug neff

Hello all.....  looking for advice as I have a very bad feeling that my 62 has a differential issue.  Just started having a severe binding coming from the rear of the car at low speed and is happening only every 100ft or so intervals and not constantly.

The wheel bearings are ok as is the driveline and trans,  the interval of the binding seems like it could be a bad tooth on the main diff gear.  If the diff needs replaced it would be outside of my wheelhouse and would have to find a shop.

Where would be a good starting point to find a replacement if needed, haven't checked the number on the unit yet but according to the manual it should be a 3.21-1 unit and possibly a controlled diff,  could I use either as a replacement?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Doug
Doug Neff
1962 Fleetwood

Andrew Trout

If parts are needed, my first two places to search for parts are eBay and junkyards. Not terribly imaginative, but eBay has helped immensely in finding parts. It's easy to buy/order the first part you find (especially if you're panicked), so my advice is to take a deep breath whenever you see a part that may work and keep looking for more of the same.

Another suggestion would be to see if there are other GM products that share the same gear ratio. That may help broaden your search. While it probably won't save time, it may save you money and stress.

Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

dadscad

I would put the car on jack stands placed under the axle. Be sure the brake drums ar not warped and binding on the shoes. Remove the wheels and brake drums. Put the transmission in neutral. Slide under the car and turn the drive shaft by hand several revolutions taking note if or when there is any resistance or binding. If resistance is present, remove the drive shaft from the pinion flange. Then turn the pinion flange several turns. If the resistance is still present, it is most likely in the differential or axle bearing. If not there, pull and check the drive shaft for a bad support bearing or binding universal joints.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Poncholover

'58-'62 carriers interchange & some '63s. Is your location a secret?
Flattie Caddy

russ austin

I have a 62 gearset if needed.  63 standard body has a different pinion flange.  The CC has the correct flange, but not in the gear ratio you want.

email me at  russ85747@hotmail.com
R.Austin

doug neff

Thanks for the information and advice.  I will be in touch about the gearset,  I am in Maryland.

Thanks
Doug
Doug Neff
1962 Fleetwood