News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Coolant Hoses

Started by Jeff Kinzler, May 09, 2021, 02:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kinzler

Does anybody have a specification or part number for the 1969 coolant bypass hose?  I have an original part that is looking dry and would like to replace it.

See attached photo

Thanks
Jeff Kinzler
Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado
1969 Fleetwood 60 Special

Jeff Kinzler

Charles
Thanks for your reply but I think we are talking about two different hoses. I just posted a picture for clarity. i believe this connects the engine block to the water pump.

Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Jeff Kinzler on May 09, 2021, 02:38:13 AM
Charles
Thanks for your reply but I think we are talking about two different hoses. I just posted a picture for clarity. i believe this connects the engine block to the water pump.

Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff, your photo was not up when I replied. Once I saw it, I realized I was speaking at cross-purposes and would look like an a**, so I deleted it, but apparently not soon enough, LOL.  My '69 still has the original of what your photo indicates.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff that is the air pump discharge hose from the air pump to the manifold that feeds the 2 cylinder heads
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jeff Kinzler

Gregg

Thank you! 

Is there any reason to replace that hose on a 51 year old car that  I like to drive?  It's intact (the picture example is not my car)  but seems a little dried out on its surface.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado

Jeff
Unless it is for cosmetic reasons and not because of actual deterioration or leaking air there is no reason to replace it. Besides I personally have never seen those hoses offered.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jeff Kinzler

Greg

Thanks again for your helpful answer.  I don't see any deterioration other than the surface of the hose feels a little dry and grainy but otherwise intact and whole.

Since you seem to be very knowledgeable about this generation of Cadillacs could I ask you another question? This in involves a mysterious noise from under the car that appears after leaving the high speed road and then disappears again.

Thanks.
Jeff
Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado

Jeff
Sorry but that is not much of a description to go on. If it is just the short interval during the transition from highway driving to Lower speeds and then goes away it MIGHT be the AIR pumps relievingpressure under high vacuum conditions.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jeff Kinzler

Greg, Thanks.

It's a light metallic tapping sound coming from underneath maybe near a back wheel. It seems external rather than inside the engine or transmission. 

It varies with the car speed from a standstill.  If I had to guess I would say it sounds like something in side a wheel cover or brake drum.

Last visit the car dropped a puddle of ATF on the driveway- this hasn't happened before.

I have a video recording of the noise I could send via text or email but not able to post here.
Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado

Sounds like you might have a rear axle bearing going bad. One at a time raise the rear wheels off the ground (blocking the front wheels first) and rotate the raised wheel foreword and backwards and see if you can reproduce a noise.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jeff Kinzler

Thanks Greg
I will do that this week.  The fun part is that I have it garaged at a friends house about 10 miles away and my '64 "showgirl" (with a new white leather interior) is garaged here. If I bring the '69 over here to work on, I must leave my daily ride at the friends house If I pull something off the '69 I have no way of running out for a part or tool. 

You have inspired me. so I will probably swap the garage situation so I can concentrate on getting this resolved asap. A rear axle bearing has always been an easy job- esp. if the linings didn't get oil soaked!

Thanks for your help. I will report back my findings in case they could be of  help to someone

Regards,

Jeff
Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Jeff,

Before attempting to spin trhe back wheel with the other on the ground, bake sure that you don't have a limited slip diff, or you will be repairing even more stuff.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Kinzler

Bruce
Thanks for your tip. I never thought of a huge 60 Special sedan having a controlled axle, but its worth checking out. Is there a sticker somewhere on the car about this?

Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure Jeff, but from LSD's I have worked on, there is usually a tag attached to the filling plug, but these can be lost over the years.   These diffs use a special oil to the open diffs.

I have a '66 Cadillac Diff here with the Controlled Diff, but cannot get to it at the moment to see what is there, as it is buried down deep under good stuff in my Garage.   Been there for 26 years, for one of those "might have use for it one day", or "too good to toss out"  Plus, too heavy to move.   But, I did rob the self adjusters from the brakes to fit into a '60 Caddy that i was repairing.   But, as they say, "that is another story"

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Someone should come forward soon and give us the good information.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff
If you have a factory service manual it will tell you the location and the code for the factory rear ends. Unfortunately I'm stuck on this rock until the end of the month and my FSM s are at home.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

I can't turn it right side up on the phone but Bruce down under can see it right side up
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jeff Kinzler

I have the FSM and will check before I try jacking up one side. I was thinking of the 1964 that had special warning tags in the trunk about jacking an LSD equipped car.

Turning back to my under hood ignorance, I notice that the second vacuum line to the distributor was removed and plugged as well as a vacuum hose near the RS valve cover PCV fitting.   

My car was set up with a Petronix ignition and set for a fast idle because (I believe the automatic idle speed was disabled).  We also had to replace a cracked NSS and I think it steel needs adjustment not to leak vacuum.

The car runs, makes okay power, but only returns about 9 mpg max. 

What should I start with to get the various vacuum systems and lines back to spec? I also bought a new valley cover/intake gasket set but haven't had the where-with-all to dive into it, yet. 

Thanks.

Jeff Kinzler
1964 Fleetwood Eldorado

Cadillac Fleetwood

The vacuum fitting near the PCV is for the automatic level control, which is standard equipment on Fleetwoods. One line runs from the fitting near the PVC to the level control compressor. The other runs from the air cleaner lid to the level control  compressor.  If you need a replacement NSS, send me a PM.
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"