News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1968 deville quadrajet mounting gasket question

Started by Pmartin2204, April 11, 2021, 09:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pmartin2204

Hello gents. I am making headway on getting my deville back on the road. My question is regarding the thickness of the carburetor mounting gasket. When I got the car it had a paper thin carb mounting gasket. The only replacements I can find are the same. Is there  a thicker option available? Thanks.

cadillacmike68

You don't want to mess with the thickness of any carb gasket or plate. Look at the service manual.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

klinebau

I agree that you don't really want a thicker gasket.  This would require additional choke adjustment and possibly other adjustments.  If you are concerned that the throttle-body surface is not flat on the carburetor, then there are other ways to correct that. 
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

TJ Hopland

Isn't this one that needs the metal plate due to the open exhaust crossover passage there?   No plate gasket just burns out?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 12, 2021, 01:53:29 PM
Isn't this one that needs the metal plate due to the open exhaust crossover passage there?   No plate gasket just burns out?

There is a plate on the 1968s.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Pmartin2204

Yeah I ended up not changing the thickness but ordering the plate. Should do the trick. Thanks as always.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One of the issues with using a thicker gasket is that there is the distinct possibility of bending the base of the carby when torqueing the fastenings down to factory specs, as this action will tend to bend the base as the gasket squashes unevenly.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon