News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930 v8 engine mounts

Started by JeffRack, April 14, 2021, 08:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffRack

Hello to everybody here on the CLC. I just joined and have a question or two. I recently acquired a 353 v8 engine and trans. Now since I am used to Ford flatheads, I find this Caddy engine quite unusual. Mainly, I am unsure as to the engine mounts. From what I have learned here, this 1930 engine has three mounting points. Two on the rear of the block and the front one is that ball on the hand crank shaft? Is that right? Did it work well or not? And what is that odd thing sticking up behind the carb. Is it a oil level gage? It's says full and empty and it's a little ball on a stem. The last thing really got me. Am I to understand that there is a little compressor pump mounted at the rear of the trans? It appears to have it's own power take off to start and stop it. Well, let me know. Me and my buds' are very curious. Thanks

Hilarius

Hi Jeff,
the three engine mounts work very well, even after decades of use.
Never had to complain!
The "odd thing" is an oil level gauge, indeed, also working very reliably if not obstructed inside the engine or outside it.
Lastly, the compressor served to inflate a flat tire. It is activated by the use of a screwdriver from on top through a hole in the floor board. A pressure hose between compressor and tire was used way back when. The hose is probably long gone as is the necessity to use the compressor, nowadays.
Hilmar.
Hilmar Schneider #26898
1930-162, "353", 4D-SDN-7P
1940-7567, 2D-CCP-2/4P
1948-7519X, 4D-SDN-5P
1952-6019X, 4D-SDN-5P
1973 Mercedes 107R, 2D-CCP-2P
2015 Cadillac SRX, 4D-SDN-5P

JeffRack

Thank you Hilmar. As I am looking forward to getting this engine to run, I have ask if there is a source for head gaskets anywhere. I am reluctant to pull the heads unless I have a set. I suppose, in a pinch, that I might be able to reuse the originals if I had to. I have put a bore scope into the spark plug holes and while it looks good in there, I sure would like to pop the heads off to inspect a little better.

Peter Cornwell

You will have fun with the dual points set up, I speak from experience! Also the distributor cap is quite unique and made from unobtainium, be very careful with it. If you do need to replace it then consider going to the single points distributor assembly from a later car which is a direct fit. Depending on your intention with the engine do not run a petrol pump to feed the carb as you will end up in a world of problems, it was originally gravity fed from a tank fed by engine vacuum. I learnt the hard way, if you do need to use a petrol pump you can send me a direct mail and I can send more pictures of what I did. My car had already been converted to electric pump and the vacuum system removed, I had little choice but to adapt it as here in UK I'm a long way from sourcing parts.
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

Blueman

Hi everyone. I recently acquired a 1933 LaSalle 345C. I am also new to the forum concept.
My flathead 353 CID V8 has the oil level indicator that was discussed in this thread. When the car arrived, the oil level indicator was on "E". When I raise the indicator manually with a small screwdriver, it tends to hang up where I leave it. It can be pushed back down with some resistance. It does not seem to be "free" as commented by Hilmar. I'm concerned the oil level is too low.

I plan to drain the oil but do not know how much or what type of oil to put back in. Any suggestions?

JeffRack

Peter, you answered another question that I had. The engine came with the fuel vacuum canister. It is in perfect condition and still has the glass bowl at the bottom. So from what you said, it is gravity fed to the carb and the engine vacuum is what fills the tank? There is a little thing on top of the flywheel housing that appears to be a vacuum pump. Is this correct? I also got the remote oil filter canister and is still attached via tubing.