News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine and numbres. It's a 1966 cadillac, 429 engine???

Started by Lleidatá, April 15, 2021, 08:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lleidatá

Hello.
Can you tell me if this engine is a 1966 Cadillac, 429?. For sure is a Cadillac engine. Unknow year.
Thanks a lot.

Roger Zimmermann

The stamped number is not very helpful...The shape from the valley cover is the same as engines from 1949 to 1962. However, the distributor is at the front, therefore the engine is from 1963 or younger. The valley cover was the same between 1949 and 1967. Conclusion: your engine is between 1963 and 1967. Sorry if I cannot be more precise.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

Shaft rockers so its not a 67.  67's had the T pedestals like the 472.

Roger, you said front distributor is 63 or younger then you say its a 63-67 ?    One of those has to be wrong.  Rear dizzy on 49-62 and front 63-67?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

From the pic, I can't be certain where the stamped number is located on the engine. Cadillac engines of this series had a stamped number at the rear of the block below the intake and above the flywheel. If that's where that pic was taken, good so far. The first number "6" would indicate a 1966 engine. However there should be a letter  (sales code) stamped in front of the "6" that identifies the model the engine was installed in ; ie: Fleetwood, Coupe de ville, Eldorado etc.. 
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

2manycars

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on April 16, 2021, 03:44:39 PM
From the pic, I can't be certain where the stamped number is located on the engine. Cadillac engines of this series had a stamped number at the rear of the block below the intake and above the flywheel. If that's where that pic was taken, good so far. The first number "6" would indicate a 1966 engine. However there should be a letter  (sales code) stamped in front of the "6" that identifies the model the engine was installed in ; ie: Fleetwood, Coupe de ville, Eldorado etc..

Here is an example of what Ralph is describing. This is the original engine from my 64 Coupe deVille. The engine has since been rebuilt. I took this photo after I got it on the engine stand after pulling it from the car.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 16, 2021, 12:58:32 PM
Shaft rockers so its not a 67.  67's had the T pedestals like the 472.

Roger, you said front distributor is 63 or younger then you say its a 63-67 ?    One of those has to be wrong.  Rear dizzy on 49-62 and front 63-67?
The lifter valley cover is the same from 1949 and 1967 according to the master parts list. And, as you noted, the rocker shafts were the same from 1858 to 1966. From 1949 to 1962 the distributor was in the back; from 1963 onwards it was in the front. The third picture is showing the pinion for the distributor/oil pump.
My conclusion is that this engine can be between 1963 to 1966.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ralph answered it correctly above.  This is a 1966 block, the 45185 th. built that year.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Roger Zimmermann

Greg, what is the signification of the "1" after the "6"?
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

2manycars

I found another photo, this time from a 66 Eldorado engine. The number stamped in that location is the VIN of the car that engine came in. The VIN on the car I was looking at that day is E6208865. That complete number is on the block, in the same location your number is. Your block should have a letter prior to the numbers.
1964 Coupe de Ville
My Current Projects:
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
My Special One:
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (bought it new)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Roger,
The first number is the year, followed by the order they were made, starting with the number 100001, which would be the first one made.
Bill,
The "E" stands for the Linden plant where the engine was made.  If it was made in Detroit there would have been a "Q".
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on April 18, 2021, 10:46:14 AM
Roger,
The first number is the year, followed by the order they were made, starting with the number 100001, which would be the first one made.
Greg Surfas
Thanks! I was not sure, but logical.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lleidatá

Hello.
I'll check in person, the man tell me it's from a 1966 Cadillac DeVille but I must to check.
Thanks a lot..

fishnjim

This is all described in the front section of the CLC members directory.  It's not real clear, but it's available if you go to the main site and download a copy, if you're a member and don't get the paper edition.
I don't have documentation for this period.   I couldn't make out exactly where the stamping was located from photo.   I was under the impression should've been in the back above the bell housing, so I passed on this earlier.   
It's not the VIN, as that would have the letter first in '66.   It's apparently an engine number as it matches the format.   
There were a number of other issues to call this a "motor"...   
The head casting numbers are also available for '66.   They'll be in the parts list but if no copy, then search online, someone posted a list in HAMB or jalopy site. 

Lleidatá

Good afternoon. I have finally acquired the motor. Apparently there was a malfunction in the oil pump. When disassembling the engine they saw a hole in the inside of the block, in the lifters. I don't know what to do with it. The look is very good and it turns the crankshaft very well. I am missing parts to have a complete motor and I do not know if it would be very difficult to shorten.
The valves have a lot of smog, you may have had a compression problem.
Thanks a lot..

Caddylackn

That hole in the lifter valley just looks like the factory casting hole for the oil drain back.  I don't have a '66 block, but my '69  and '77 block has one that looks just like it.

All the teeth are broken off of the crank timing gear and the other broken spiral cut gear looks like it turns the distributor.  It looks like these happened after the motor was taken apart and not while running?  There are just freshly broken surfaces and no grinding present.   If the timing gear was stripped while the motor was running it would have bent a bunch of valves, and there would be shavings from the gear pieces all over the motor insides.   The photo of the head shows no indication that the valves were bent or the pistons hit the valves.

I would pull off a main cap and look at the bearings.  That would tell you if the motor was run with a bunch of metal in the oil.

'61 Fleetwood 60- owned for 31 years
'61 Series 62 2-door - sold
'64 Series 62 2-door -sold
'67 Sedan De Ville - sold
'74 Eldorado Convertible - sold

TJ Hopland

Does that lifer have an little nub worn on the edge of it?   Pic is a little too fuzzy to tell.

That hole looks like others I have seen so keep digging to see what else you can find.  Maybe a new cam and lifters will be all that is needed.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

I must say that I have never seen such a wiping off of the teeth of a crankshaft gear, and yet, the timing chain teeth still look good.

I wonder if the engine had a major problem and the replacement timing chain and Cam gear were thrown at it without the repairers realising that the crank gear was totally wasted.

That Cam Follower (Lifter) looks like it is completely convex, but it is difficult to see in the picture.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Lleidatá

Hello.
I only can say, it's running and has no oil pressure. I fund it as is. It maybe has more problems inside. I'll keep on my garage to the future, maybe for parts because it's to hard to find the rest of the parts to complete the engine. Does any one has the oil pan, timing cover, valve covers, etc to sell???. I have distributor, water pump and oil pump.
Thanks a lot.

RichardPullman

The 429 engine was available in Cadillac vehicles during the 1960s, so it's quite possible that your vehicle has a 429 engine. To confirm, you may want to check the engine code, which can usually be found on a metal tag on the engine or on the vehicle's paperwork.

35-709

This is a nearly two year old thread, the O.P. has not been on this site since July.

To be more precise about the engine --- the '65, '66, and 67 Cadillacs only had the 429 engine, it was the only engine available for those years.  The '63 Cadillac had a 390 that was more like the later 429s, the 390s prior to '63 were a somewhat different structure.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2