News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Battery for '79 Seville

Started by J.C., April 17, 2021, 08:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Hi, Guys,

The battery in my '79 Seville is dead.  I was hoping to get a little advice on which kind of battery to replace it with.  I was thinking of either of these two...

Valucraft Battery 34DT-VL Group Size 34 690 CCA

Valucraft Battery 75DT-VL Group Size 75 650 CCA

Will these work?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

J.C.
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

The Tassie Devil(le)

Not sure if this helps, but when I look for a battery, I try and find the biggest battery that I can fit into the space provided.   In my '72 Eldorado, I ended up with an 800 CCA battery, but I did have to change the hold-down as it had no side mounting lugs.   But then, I wasn't after originality, just high performance.

Plus I fitted a Battery Tender to maintain charge when not being used.   Those clocks do draw current, and so does the memory in the modern radios.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J.C.

My Owner's Manual says the car takes an 89-5 replacement battery - what does that designation mean?  Is that the physical size of the battery?  I don't want to make any adjustments to the dimensions of the battery compartment...
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

TCheo

Hi JC,

89-5 sounds like a group size that they may not make anymore. A group size deals with original dimensions and the manufacturer would have used a battery with suitable cranking amperage for the original application. As far as I know you car calls for a side terminal battery but I could be wrong. A 75 group size would have battery bolts that thread into the side of the battery, a 34 series battery would have posts on top that you clamp a terminal on to. Can you attach a picture of your current setup?

In general, a higher cranking amp battery is going to give you the best performance and reliability. I agree with what Bruce said about springing for the better battery. Typically our cars tend to sit for long periods of time and that is probably the worst thing for a battery. I use an AGM batteries like the O'Reilly Platinum  and keep them fully charged with a maintainer that is permanently installed on my car. I plug in the battery every time I park the car. This ensures that my batteries are always ready to start and stay healthy. This type of battery is more expensive, but they are more rugged because of the way they are built and so can handle long periods without use and long periods of charging. In the long run I'm buying replacement batteries less often.
-Tyler
1967 DeVille Convertible

J.C.

Tyler, thanks for replying.
You're right - my current battery does have side-mounted terminals (see attached photo).  I'm wondering if there are any amperages or special type or size designations I need to be aware of before selecting a new battery...
J.C.
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

TCheo

Ok, that's a 78 group size. I would get another one of those instead of the 75 group size you were looking at. The 78 is probably going to have a higher cranking amp output. Again, spring for a better battery with a better warranty, usually this translates to better build quality and higher output. Different auto parts places use different battery suppliers, so if you want to know who the manufacturer is, let me know
-Tyler
1967 DeVille Convertible

TJ Hopland

78's are still stocked my most stores since I believe that is what the trucks used into the 90's and there are usually older trucks on the roads in most areas.      Personally since I have lots of different vehicles around I try to buy the 34/78's which is the dual post version.  Usually doesn't cost more and looks like in your case nothing is in the way.   The dual post gives you options for other uses if you have them and makes jump starting or charging slightly easier. 

I don't see a hold down in the photo,  I assume the 79 still used the little wedge thing with a single bolt to hold the battery down?   If so then that gives you a lot more flexibility in what battery to use since the height doesn't matter.  The E bodies and I think eventually all models used a plastic strap over the top so the height becomes important and that is where many batteries actually ship with what looks like a plastic grid like thing on the top that even battery stores assume is a shipping protector for top terminals but its actually a spacer you can snap onto the bottom to match the height for the cases with the top strap. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dennisspeaks

Bruce I think you just like to take what you see and improve on it and make it your own and make it unique that stands out in the crowd like you did that your amazing continential tire kit.  I was cleaning the garage yesterday and ran across a battery tender I bought a few years back but never used... guess where it will be going?

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 17, 2021, 08:42:23 PM
Not sure if this helps, but when I look for a battery, I try and find the biggest battery that I can fit into the space provided.   In my '72 Eldorado, I ended up with an 800 CCA battery, but I did have to change the hold-down as it had no side mounting lugs.   But then, I wasn't after originality, just high performance.

Plus I fitted a Battery Tender to maintain charge when not being used.   Those clocks do draw current, and so does the memory in the modern radios.

Bruce. >:D
CURRENT CLASSIC CARS
1939 Cadillac
1976 Eldorado convertible
1978 Toronado XS
1994 Deville
1989 Fleetwood
1989 Town Car
1982 Mark VI

PAST CARS
1978 Biarritz
1978 Eldorado