News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 Fleetwood - underside of hood

Started by scotth3886, April 19, 2021, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

I cleaned up under the hood and replaced the underhood mat yesterday. 

I noticed that there is some tar like substance that's used between the bracing and the underside of the hood.  All of mine has become hardened and has pulled away from the hood.  What is an acceptable substitute that I can apply to re-stick the structure to the hood?

Thanks

Cadman-iac

That was actually a type of body panel adhesive to keep the hood from lifting and rattling while you drive it, and to help keep it fastened to the reinforcement panel, since they really couldn't use screws or weld it without making necessary more body work to hide the welds.
A paint and body supply store will have a panel adhesive that will work for that. Just don't try to remove the old stuff as you could damage the hood panel.
HTH,  Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 19, 2021, 05:07:40 PM
That was actually a type of body panel adhesive to keep the hood from lifting and rattling while you drive it, and to help keep it fastened to the reinforcement panel, since they really couldn't use screws or weld it without making necessary more body work to hide the welds.
A paint and body supply store will have a panel adhesive that will work for that. Just don't try to remove the old stuff as you could damage the hood panel.
HTH,  Rick

I just want to add it where its broken loose from age.

Cadman-iac

Yes, that or something very similar by another company. But I would probably recommend the 3M product. You could check with one of your local body shops to see what they recommend. I haven't done any of that kind of stuff for decades, and haven't kept up with the advancements they've made in adhesives. But there's some really good stuff available now.
CLC# 32373

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 19, 2021, 07:13:01 PM
  Yes, that or something very similar by another company. But I would probably recommend the 3M product. You could check with one of your local body shops to see what they recommend. I haven't done any of that kind of stuff for decades, and haven't kept up with the advancements they've made in adhesives. But there's some really good stuff available now.

Yeah, this is probably way better than what they used in 66.  If it last another 55 years then I'll be 133 and not give a chit.

Cadman-iac

That's probably the best choice. I don't think you'll regret it.  Just be sure not to get it on anything else because it's got a grip like steel after it sets up. You should probably cover the entire engine compartment with a plastic sheet to protect everything from any drips that might occur.  Good luck with your repair.

Rick
CLC# 32373

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 19, 2021, 07:19:14 PM
That's probably the best choice. I don't think you'll regret it.  Just be sure not to get it on anything else because it's got a grip like steel after it sets up. You should probably cover the entire engine compartment with a plastic sheet to protect everything from any drips that might occur.  Good luck with your repair.

Rick

The one time I top ended the car, I thought I saw the hood fluttering a bit.   Good, I like easy fixes. 

And you bet I'll cover everything.  Don't want to make a mess. 

V63

I use 'exploding foam' (urethane)  at home improvement centers. It is now available in black. Comes out like aerosol  whip cream ....hardens like styrofoam. Use it sparingly!*  It can be painted when cured (hour or so)

* if TOO much is used it can expand with incredible pressure.

scotth3886

Quote from: V63 on April 19, 2021, 11:15:37 PM
I use 'exploding foam' (urethane)  at home improvement centers. It is now available in black. Comes out like aerosol  whip cream ....hardens like styrofoam. Use it sparingly!*  It can be painted when cured (hour or so)

* if TOO much is used it can expand with incredible pressure.

Yeah, that would concern me.  I've ordered the 3M panel adhesive.  I'm going to give that a try.

Chuck Swanson

Repaired mine using adhesive from body shop (correct panel bonding glue as mentioned vs foam stuff), but made the mistake of doing after the bodywork I did on my hood was perfect.  I asked body shop and I think I used the 5 minute version as there are different cure times, 5, 30 mins, etc,,.  It probably took another 6+ hours to fix after applying as I had a bunch of waves.  At least my hood was still in epoxy primer.  I know this has happened to others too, and some took longer to get it right.  Why, you won't be able to match the existing glue spacing easily from the factory.  as once you glue, it will probably cause some waves in the hood.   Think about it, glue is very strong and may suck the hood down in some places, or too much may raise it...even if just 1/16 of an inch, you will notice.  So you may fix the rattling, but your hood may look like crap :)  If you don't mind the slight waves, go for it.  Correct way to do is remove the hood, glue, do the bodywork, paint. 

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

scotth3886

Saved me again.  The car is black, and I'm hugely picky about any waves in panels.  Plus, I don't have any rattles that I can hear so I think I'll leave this alone until we end up doing paint.

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 22, 2021, 02:46:11 PM
Saved me again.  The car is black, and I'm hugely picky about any waves in panels.  Plus, I don't have any rattles that I can hear so I think I'll leave this alone until we end up doing paint.
Sure, welcome :)  Checked and see my posts 53-65 here.  Adhesive is called Fusor.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=116643.40

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

scotth3886

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on April 22, 2021, 03:17:01 PM
Sure, welcome :)  Checked and see my posts 53-57 here.  Adhesive is called Fusor.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=116643.40

Chuck

Thanks.  When that time comes, I'll have to do trunk too.