News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Transmission work for 61 cadillac in chicagoland area?

Started by 61Cadillac-Rob, April 19, 2021, 03:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

61Cadillac-Rob

Hello, my name is Robert and this is my first post on the Cadillac LaSalle club forum.I am the owner of a 1961 Cadillac sedan Deville, and I am wondering where I can find a reputable shop in the Chicagoland Area to work on my transmission. It has a 4 speed, Jetaway transmission, Which I believe is the original from 1961. The way I understand it is that the leak it has prevents fluid pressure buildup, and therefore causes the transmission to shift directly from 1st to 3rd gear, skipping second and not engaging fourth. Has anyone here have any experience with transmission shops anywhere in Chicago. I would like to take it to a shop that works on these all the time.

Thanks for the feedback, Robert

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy

Roger Zimmermann

Your description is telling that the front unit coupling is internally leaking. The rubber seals are getting old and brittle with the time and must be replaced.
I could overhaul your transmission, but I'm a bit too far away: Switzerland.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

61Cadillac-Rob

Thanks Roger, but, as you said,Switzerland is unfortunately too far away. it is also leaking externally because when it sat this winter I had a pan underneath that filled with trans fluid. I talked to a guy on the phone and he explained to me that's what might be wrong.

Cadillac Nut

I am in the Chicago area also I'll get back to you with the names of 2 good trans places here

arch62

http://ddtransmissionsoakforest.com

Dave has worked on my '62 CDV several times. Older gentleman who knows. Mention Pete

arch62

Robert you're welcome to join the Regional West of the Lake Cadillac Club here in Elmhurst also.
Pete

61Cadillac-Rob

61Cadillac-Rob

Sorry for such late response but, has anyone heard of Higgins transmission? they seem very reputable, with a 3 year warranty on work which is the best I've seen so far.