News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Deville Rear Convertible Glass

Started by Jvteach07, April 20, 2021, 05:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jvteach07

Looking to buy the rear window for my 1970 Deville convertible. I have the cloth top but am missing the piece of glass that gets attached to it. I see lots of plastic options but would prefer the glass if possible.
Joe Tortora
1970 Cadillac Devill Convertible

Jamurray

I've since sold it, but mine was originally glass, and there was no zipper. It just found its way into the well without breaking. I can't recall what the frame looked like.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

M. Bankes

Hi,
I have a used original piece of the glass if you need one
Thanks
Michael

Cadman-iac

Joe,
  The glass window is actually glued and sewn into the rear panel of the top, and it is not removable from the panel. To get a new one installed, your whole top skin would have to be removed, as the rear panel is the first piece to be installed, then the top is mounted over it.
I once had a 69 and had to have a new top installed, and that's when I found out it's not worth trying to do just that rear panel.
I don't know if it's possible to do this without damage to the top fabric, you would have to ask a shop that does this stuff to find out.  But mine still had a good rear panel and glass, it was the top that needed to be replaced. I was told that the top came with a new rear panel anyway, why use the old one.
You're probably not going to find a window separate from the top, unless someone has an old one that was removed and replaced with a new one. The problem with this is that the old panel, (skin), will have all the staple holes in it from the previous installation, and it may not happen to align with the roof bow on yours, leaving some holes exposed.
Just something to think about when you're looking for a window.

Rick

EDIT : Another consideration concerning a used rear panel, or curtain as 76Eldo called it, and I think that's the correct term, is that a used one will have been exposed to who knows how many years of sunlight and chemicals that weaken the fabric, making it easier to tear and fall apart.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

76eldo

I agree with Rick. The glass window is part of the rear curtain. The glass is bonded to the fabric at the top and bottom. 
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jvteach07

My current top is being replaced. I have the replacement top but it is missing the glass. I wanted to know if I could purchase the glass portion of the top to have sewn into the new top. My other option would have to be vinyl window
Joe Tortora

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Jvteach07 on April 21, 2021, 10:55:53 AM
My current top is being replaced. I have the replacement top but it is missing the glass. I wanted to know if I could purchase the glass portion of the top to have sewn into the new top. My other option would have to be vinyl window

Joe,

Did you purchase the top new from a vendor, or buy it from an individual? I have not heard of any company selling a top without the window regardless of which type of window it has.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Jvteach07

I inherited the car and the top was in a box in the trunk. I don't know where the window is. It wasn't with the car. I would rather glass than vinyl
Joe Tortora

76eldo

Call Hydro Electric in Florida to buy a rear curtain with the glass window.
You will need to know what brand too you have and if it has a defogger or not in the car.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

The big trouble with buying just the rear curtain is that it might not be the same colour material as the top you got with the car.   Might be a need to bite the bullet and get a new complete top with the new glass.   Plus, also might be a good time to replace the storeage  "tray" as well.

By the way, from what I understand, the 1970 Convertible doesn't have the imbedded defroster in the glass.   This was first with the 1971 Convertible.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon