News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 rear axle seals

Started by DKMNC, April 21, 2021, 09:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKMNC

I'm replacing the rear axle seals on my 1960 series 6239.  The replacement seals come with rubber O rings as well as the typical metal ring holding a rubber seal that is pressed into a casing.  I see where the O ring goes around the bearing casing, but I can't figure out where the other seal goes.  Videos online don't show it being used on my car.  Does it not apply to a '60 6239?  thnx!

Roger Zimmermann

A picture would help! Anyway, years ago, I used to buy  those bearings and a thin seal was together. I still have them, they are just a waste. What is their purpose? I don't know.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dn010

Keep in mind many of these parts are not limited to your exact vehicle so while the O-ring might apply to your car, the seal and o-ring both might apply to something else. From what I understand, these wheel seal kit fit Buicks & Cadillacs from 56-69 so there are plenty of combinations possible.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Caddylackn

If I remember correctly when I changed mine 30 years ago, that the wheel bearing had to be removed from the axle shaft in order to get the new seal on, then the bearing pressed back on.  I remember the machine shop was impressed with the size and heft of the axle, he thought it was off a one ton or larger truck.
'61 Fleetwood 60- owned for 31 years
'61 Series 62 2-door - sold
'64 Series 62 2-door -sold
'67 Sedan De Ville - sold
'74 Eldorado Convertible - sold

oregonjam

Quote from: DKMNC on April 21, 2021, 09:14:36 AMI see where the O ring goes around the bearing casing, but I can't figure out where the other seal goes.

Did you figure this out. I am at the same point.
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

Caddyholic

If the bearing is leaking you have to replace the bearing It is a sealed bearing with a o ring on the outside that seals against  the axel housing. the original bearing were sealed on the outside only they changed them in the mid sixties to sealed on both sides
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

oregonjam

Thank you that is very helpful. I am not able to tell if it is leaking through the bearing or the O-ring. Now that you say the news seals are sealed on both sides I will just replace them. Mine appear to be original bearings.

Any recommendation on bearing brands to avoid or look for? The Pinion has a Timken number so Ill pull the wheel bearing. If there is a Timken Number on the bearing I will try to order one from a bearing supplier. The Cadillac suppliers have them priced very high.

Thank you for you assistance.
Cheers,
John Miller

1960 Series 62 Coupe
1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
1968 Camaro SS
1968 C10 SWB Pickup
1976 Bronco Sport

dn010

It is unlikely it would be leaking from the o-ring, and is more likely leaking through the bearing instead. These are just 509 bearings. When I did mine, it is difficult to find good bearings these days so I typed "Wheel Bearing 509" into ebay and found a NOS Bower/BCA bearing with retainer for $20. You can even put NOS after the 509 in your search to see what you get. If you don't need one right away, wait until you find one on there within your price range. Whatever you get, just make sure it comes with the retainer ring since you will be destroying yours to remove the bearing. I would stay away from brand new "name brand" bearings on ebay from random sellers, counterfeit products are a worry. The NOS BCA bearing has been installed for two years now, problem free.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean