News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 suspension

Started by DKMNC, April 21, 2021, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKMNC

I've replaced all of the suspension on my '60 series 6239 except the springs.  i figured they were good for life?  however, the suspension still feels loose and seems to rattle.  is that the best it can get or should I replace the springs as well?  i used standard replacement shocks from RockAuto.  should I upgrade those?  thnx! 

Michael Petti

Several things. first, if you have a rattle, something is loose. Second, springs can loose some of their tension over time. It depends on mileage and how the car was driven. I have a 60 CDV with new shocks and original springs on it and it rides very smoothly on the road driving more or less straight. Handling is a different story. Are you comparing it to a modern car? Our cars were built for cruising on boulevards and freeways, not a mountain road at 60 mph.  Does the car sit level and at the right height? If so you maybe alright. There are things you can do to stiffen up the suspension but you will probably loose the "Boulevard Ride" they were known for.

64\/54Cadillacking

What do you mean "All of the suspension"??

Everything would mean every single bushing, including the front strut rod bushings that absorb road impacts, upper and lower control arm bushings front and rear of the car. Springs wouldn't cause rattling. Loose mounts, or bolts could however. Also never use polyurethane bushings as they will make your Caddy ride like a ton of bricks and make you feel every nook and cranny on the road. Rubber bushings ONLY on these cars.

Everything needs to be very tight and sound, so I would check for tightness of all components. A rattle could be caused by something else that's non suspension related. Steering components especially.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

59-in-pieces

DKMNC,
More often than not, for me at least, rattles have come from old exhaust pipes, mufflers (and the guts inside) and most often exhaust hangers that have let go - rotted - allowing the pipes and all to giggle and hit other parts of the car sounding like a rattle, as the car drives down the road hitting all those cracks and pot holes.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Caddylackn

Front springs will compress and lose their spring rate.  Does your car look lowered in the front at all?

Did you change the strut rod bushings?  When these wear out, the strut rod starts egging out the hole from the metal on metal contact and can move around quite a bit within the enlarged hole when you hit bumps.  I bet that would rattle, when the rod hits one side of the hole to the other.
'61 Fleetwood 60- owned for 31 years
'61 Series 62 2-door - sold
'64 Series 62 2-door -sold
'67 Sedan De Ville - sold
'74 Eldorado Convertible - sold

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Springs should only be replaced if broken or the car is
sitting noticeably lower than it should.

NEVER order springs from a vendor if listed as, ie:
"1960 Cadillac - ALL". These are for Series 75 which
will "fit" but the spring rate for regular models is WRONG!
Not only will the car sit too high but it will ride like a
buckboard and your rattle problems will be multiplied!

Order from Coil Spring Specialties and make certain to
specify model and whether or not equipped with air conditioning
for the proper spring rate. I constantly see this mistake on
Cadillacs from the late 50s to 1980s. I call it "the four wheel drive appearance package".  ::)

http://coilsprings.com/?matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&keyword=coil%20spring%20specialties&campaign=1013183991&adgroup=51397824433&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ev8kcCf8AIV0geICR04hg30EAAYASAAEgKFjvD_BwE

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute