News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 Speedometer issue.

Started by prewarcad, April 21, 2021, 11:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prewarcad

My 1942 speedometer occasionally makes a light grinding noise and the needle jumps around for a few seconds, usually at lower speeds (25 MPH). It reads accurate according to my GPS and I have definitively ruled out a cable problem. Is the speedometer itself serviceable? It acts like it may just need lubricated but I'm not sure how to go about that. Any ideas?
"A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very, very dangerous man who has it under voluntary control."
Jordan Peterson

Jay Friedman

I don't know if this will work on your speedometer, but it might be worth a try.  Some years ago when my '49's speedometer was acting in a similar manner as yours, I unscrewed the knurled nut that fastens the cable assembly to the speedometer head and squirted a small amount of oil into the head.  It cured the problem.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bob Kielar

Had the same problem with my 55. I had to remove the speedometer all the grease was hard as a rock removed all the old grease re lubed and has been working great ever since.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood