News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Drive shaft removed last night, on its way today

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, April 21, 2021, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

As I posted earlier I noticed a "vibration" in the car coming home from the show Sunday.
Michael said to get the tires rebalanced and rotated, I thought it might be the drive shaft but I do as
I'm told.
Ryan at Cape Tire (our wheel guy) rebalanced and rotated all the Diamond Backs, they've been on for 3K miles, have never lost a pound of pressure, each was out between .25 and .50 ounce. Had the alignment checked too, it was fine. Up to route 6 and an 80mph ride, smooth as buttah. Nice.
Michael took the drive shaft out last night, about a 20 minute job. Bucklers gave us a ride home.
I'll be taking the shaft to Capeway Machine for rebuild and balance today. Turn around is about a week,
Bucklers will take us back to Michael and he'll whip it back in. Obvious wear signs around the yoke, I think
its the yoke. Case of Type F, rear tail shaft seal, new transmission mount in process.

The Ark finally burned a quart of oil. Try to find HR4 around here, it doesn't exist. Ordered some from
Summit Racing, and as long as I was there, ordered another PerTronix 1181 that I'll be putting in a Faraday Bag and into the trunk. Just in case.

Even though Michael drained the tranny fluid in the shop, The Ark still pi$$ed fluid all over the flatbed, I felt so bad, I know Dill had to wash that off in the morning, gave him a tip.

The sooner I log off this stupid laptop the sooner I'll be on my way with the driveshaft.

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

VERY cool shop, Capeway Machine and Bearing, and pretty close to here too.
Really nice guys who were surprised to see a chick bringing in a drive shaft, LOL!
They do common cars/trucks, antiques and a LOT of racers. Restoration and build from blue prints.
And a huge commercial business/industry clientele.
They estimate a week to complete The Ark's driveshaft, nice. Gives me a week to procure another case
of Type F, rear seal and the tranny mount inbound from OPGI.
Here's a pic of a newly rebuilt driveshaft being balanced.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Laurie,

They'll likely change out the U joints---  the originals are "factory sealed and greased" and the replacement ones (from  back in the day) had a zerk fitting for maintenance lubrication. They do wear and will create an annoying vibration that occasionally comes and goes, and then only gets worse.   Trust the difference will be noticeable for you-- Looking forward to your report.    James     

Cadillac Jack 82

I'd also check your trans mount.  I had a similar issue with my 57 when I got it.  I tried everything but I still had that vibration.  Turns out the trans mount had turned to plastic and was no longer effective.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Cadman-iac

Hi Laurie,

That Faraday bag, is that in case you experience an EMP event?

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on April 22, 2021, 01:40:47 PM
Laurie,

They'll likely change out the U joints---  the originals are "factory sealed and greased" and the replacement ones (from  back in the day) had a zerk fitting for maintenance lubrication. They do wear and will create an annoying vibration that occasionally comes and goes, and then only gets worse.   Trust the difference will be noticeable for you-- Looking forward to your report.    James   

Yep, its on the 'to do' list for them. I have no idea about the zert/zirt? fitting! Gary/Michael have had over 30 old Caddy's "all the drive shafts are junk" and have to be rebuilt. Looking forward to having my baby back on the road real soon.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on April 22, 2021, 01:49:20 PM
I'd also check your trans mount.  I had a similar issue with my 57 when I got it.  I tried everything but I still had that vibration.  Turns out the trans mount had turned to plastic and was no longer effective.

As I said in Reply #1 "tranny mount inbound from OPGI". They actually had the best price with shipping.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 22, 2021, 04:04:23 PM
Hi Laurie,

That Faraday bag, is that in case you experience an EMP event?

Rick

Yes. The new PerTronix that will be shielded and the holy water arrived today. I need to get that bag.
Did you know all your LED flashlights won't work? Glad I kept all my old MagLites, bulbs work, D batteries in stock.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on April 23, 2021, 01:34:05 AM
Did you know all your LED flashlights won't work? Glad I kept all my old MagLites, bulbs work, D batteries in stock.

No, I wasn't aware of that. But I hate those LED lights anyway, they are not as good as an old fashioned Maglite, and I've got at least 6 of those. Harder on batteries, but at least you can see what it's aimed at.
Who makes that HR4 oil? I don't believe I've ever heard of that before.
  After the driveshaft is done, you've pretty much covered everything that rotates then. Did they go through the differential already? I don't recall if you had mentioned that previously or not.
Anyway,  I hope the driveshaft rebuild takes care of your vibration issue.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Highwayman68

I had my drive shaft rebuilt several years ago as a preventative maintenance plan I was on of having one thing addressed each year with my tax return. After 40 years of owning this car, which just happened this month, the only item I have left is the differential which will be done this summer.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

HR4 is one of the  "Driven" oils, Joe Gibbs. When they rebuilt my engine I asked them what oil to use
and what filter (WIX), CMA. This is what Jimmy Reid said to use, they used a Driven oil for the break in period. Be advised, the oil STINKS and its hard to find unless you go online.
https://drivenracingoil.com/

It looks like someone had the rear end opened previously, sloppy job with the Permatex sealer. Its not leaking, I don't hear any noise from there, the shop says they rarely see issues from there. "I" want them to open it up and take a peek. They're busy, we'll see if they have the time to placate me.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cadman-iac

Pulling the cover and inspecting the differential is a good idea after all the other work you've had done on the Ark. It's true that not many problems occur with that design of axle. It's built like a truck axle with 3 pinion bearings and very thick axle shafts.
We're it mine, I'd want to know what it looks like inside. Changing the oil at the least anyway, and since it doesn't have a drain plug, the cover has to come off to do that. Peace of mind is worth that.
  Thanks for the information on the HR4  oil too,  it's good to know.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 23, 2021, 02:00:43 PM
  Pulling the cover and inspecting the differential is a good idea after all the other work you've had done on the Ark. It's true that not many problems occur with that design of axle. It's built like a truck axle with 3 pinion bearings and very thick axle shafts.
We're it mine, I'd want to know what it looks like inside. Changing the oil at the least anyway, and since it doesn't have a drain plug, the cover has to come off to do that. Peace of mind is worth that.
  Thanks for the information on the HR4  oil too,  it's good to know.

Rick

I agree completely. I just have to get the shop to agree with me.

BTW I chose Faraday Defense "nesting" bags to keep The Ark's Pertronix module safe. Its the only
company that offers faraday bags who's actual business "is" protective textiles. YMMV

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

bcroe

When I have a differential cover off, I see where there is
some space, and weld some really heavy wire inside. Then
I wrap the wire ends around a magnet, to catch any metal
that might be floating in the oil. 

The TH400 was the best trans the General made for decades,
but not every year was the same.  Those in my cars are a
combination of all the best features over a decade and a half
years of production, AND some stuff I invented.  ONE THING
they did wrong, was to omit a drain. 

My drain is not intended to get every drop out, rather it will
get all the oil above the pan and a gallon below the edge.  That
will allow removing the pan without a mess, or pulling a drive
shaft.  I DO NOT risk a failure of those add on drains, I braze
a 1/4 inch piece of steel inside, then drill and tap it for a 1/8
inch pipe threaded plug.  good luck, Bruce Roe

chrisntam

Or an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, for those of us that cannot weld....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Cadman-iac on April 23, 2021, 07:09:06 AM
Anyway,  I hope the driveshaft rebuild takes care of your vibration issue.
Rick

The vibration issue was the tires, see the first post. The shaft has been leaking at the seal. Either the seal fails or the drive shaft fails the seal. Tranny was completely rebuilt before I bought I bought the car, made pointing the finger at the drive shaft pretty easy.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville