News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Flathead Engine Cradle

Started by Jamurray, April 22, 2021, 09:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamurray

I'm thinking of replacing the engine in my '40 LaSalle. It may be a cheaper alternative to rebuilding the original engine, and it will be quicker. Of course, I'm keeping the original that would go with the car when I'm forced to sell it.

Has anyone made a wooden cradle so a 322 or a 346 can be transported without falling over? What would the measurements be?

Jack

z3skybolt

Jack,

When I shipped my 346 for overhaul the shop built a steel frame and mounted it to the base of a wooden pallet.  The frame then was bolted to the engine mounts and the whole thing was boxed up with plywood held together by wood screws so it was easy to access..  It traveled 1,400 miles without an issue. 

I still have the frame and my Buick straight 8 is stored on it.  Took just a bit of fabricating and welding. Someone could make one up for you. Sorry to hear the old flathead is tired.

Bob

1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

fishnjim

I made one for my P straight eight as it's mammoth, but the V8s are a bit simpler/easier.   I made the P cradle out of 4x6s I had as it has to support over a 1000 lbs with trans.   Put appropriate size casters to move it in the garage.
There's plenty of "ready made" engine cradles out there that would probably work with simple mods.   See summit racing and those places, if you can't weld-r-up yourself.   The rebuilder built a simple stand for transport, 1" square tube stock/angle and bolted to the block, but I modified to fit the engine mounts after I put them on.   It's in the scrap box.