News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

late model Broughams rising sharply in value?

Started by RFelts, April 22, 2021, 05:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFelts

I was a bit stunned to see a '91 Brougham sell for $70k today.  It was a very nice triple black example.  I tried to post the link here but got denied by the spam filter.
Upper Marlboro, MD

'70 DeVille Conv
'88 Brougham

RFelts

My apologies in advance to the inevitable curmudgeon who will complain that I didn't first search the entire board to see that someone posted in the "For Sale" section before starting this thread.
Upper Marlboro, MD

'70 DeVille Conv
'88 Brougham

64\/54Cadillacking

No, you're right. They have been increasing in value. Taking a look locally at some I've seen online for sale, it's either you're going to pay way over $10,000-15,000 for a clean one, or $2,500 for a busted one that needs all kinds of repairs.

Some of these very nice expensive ones are not even D'Elegance packages either.
I would never want a base model Fleetwood or Brougham with the flat plain looking seats. It's D'Elegance or never.

I owned a 87 Brougham for a little over a year, and sold it for $2,000. The interior was very clean with no rips or severe wear on the seats. The door panels were almost all perfect, including the carpeting and dash. But the exterior needed work. The paint was very rough, the top needed to be reupholstered, the front bumper plastic fillers were all broken and falling apart. Some of the alum chrome was faded. So it needed a lot of cosmetic work.

When I first purchased the car I spent about a grand just getting it back on the road. Rebuilt the carb, replaced plugs and wires, got new tires, had it registered and smogged and so on. It was a good car, but honestly these cars are become overpriced IMO. After owning one, I'd rather spend $15,000 on a 50's-70's Cadillac in very nice shape, than a 80's-92 Brougham. You get more Cadillac for the money with the older ones, more power, larger interior, a bigger car, nicer styling, smoother ride, better seats, more reliable, no smog etc..
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Nobody knows for certain if that sale went through this side of those directly involved. For almost any eBay car category, there are any number of "sold" listings appearing where the same car is relisted one or more times, and usually selling for less than the one preceding.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't place any stock the the supposed sale price for the time being. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

I think this is what is being discussed, (if the link works). Posted here for convenience of members to have a quick look. If indeed it did sell, that seems to be an outrageous price. Clay/Lexi

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-cadillac-brougham-delegance/

64\/54Cadillacking

Probably some hardcore car collector bought it is my guess. That is insane it sold for $70K.  :o ???

It does look to be almost perfect, and the color combination really does make a difference, but still you could buy 2 to 3 older super clean and  nicer Cadillacs for $70K.

Each to their own I guess.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Scot Minesinger

1991 is my favorite year of that style (1980-92) and triple black with leather and the 5.7 (maybe standard?), it is the King Kong of Broughams.  70k does seem high.  Maybe two people had to have it and money was not an issue.  I like the 1994-96 Fleetwoods best of all the Cadillacs manufactured between 1980 to present.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

90-92 are identical except for the change in standard engine from 307 Olds 4 bbl (1990) to 305 Chevy FI (1991 & 1992). 350 Chevy FI was optional in all three years.

Matt CLC#18621

Wowwa!

Find the sales price hard to believe unless the winning bidder is also a Power Ball winner!

I'd like to see the buyer's certified check due and payable prior to delivery and the sales tax that is going to be paid at the DMV.

Then again, and older gentleman acquired this 62 T-Bird for $220,000 to impress his lady friend at Mecum Auctions' annual Chicagoland auction November, 2019.
https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/11/03/mecum-posts-18-3-million-in-sales-at-chicago-auction/

Best regards,

matt 18621
i am 2nd

71 Fleetwood

My first post.  I watched that sale pretty carefully and I think everyone was surprised at the $70,000 sales price.  The seller's presentation was very good; including the custom whitewall tires.  I learned at the ripe old age of 16 to leave nothing to chance when I sell my car.  Because I cover every possible plus and negative that I can imagine I have always sold for top dollar.  I think that most used/classic car buyers are scared to death of buying an '80% complete' car.  The buyer of that '91 deElegance said that he didn't care if it sells for $50,000 in two years. The seller convinced him and the other bidders that this particular car is fit for a king.
Thanks for having me! Richard

1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Quote from: Reavette on April 24, 2021, 06:01:11 PM
  The buyer of that '91 deElegance said that he didn't care if it sells for $50,000 in two years.

He'd be lucky to get that tomorrow.

Quote from: Reavette on April 24, 2021, 06:01:11 PMThe seller convinced him and the other bidders that this particular car is fit for a king.

Then kings must not care about cracked leather and worn steering wheels. It was nice but by no means was it $70K nice but what do I know... ???

Quote from: Reavette on April 24, 2021, 06:01:11 PMThanks for having me! Richard

Welcome aboard!

71 Fleetwood

Eric - Yes, I'll enjoy your upbeat feedback!
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham