News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Spark plug proper resistance question.

Started by 76eldo, April 23, 2021, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

My 70 Eldorado needs a tune up. Not running and idling as smooth as it should.
I know how to set the timing and dwell so that will get checked out. New AC plugs will be installed and I have NOS Delco points. Also have an NOS Delco cap.

It's a 15,000 mile car but it's also 50 years old.
I'd like to ask, if you know, how I can test the original wires for a range of resistance. I have an ohm meter amd I am asking what value I should be looking for to see if I need to get new wires.

Thanks
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Daryl Chesterman

Here is a YouTube video on different methods for testing spark plug wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_EFGAFxi1w

I hope it helps.  If it were my car, I would just replace them as they are 50 years old.

Daryl Chesterman

wheikkila

Good Evening
I would just replace the wires. Like you said they are 50 years old. the rubber is dri rotted. They are inexpensive.
Thanks Wayne 

76eldo

For this car I am trying to maintain the original appearance  under the hood. As I mentioned it's a 15,000 mile car. There is no dry rot or splitting on the wires. If they are not bad I don't want to change them. It's not the money.

I think I can answer my own question. I do have a set of NOS Delco wires that I bought for the 71 Eldorado that I sold.
If I take the longest wire from the new set and measure the resistance on it I can then compare it to the old one and see if there is a difference.
I can also run the car at night and look for any arcing.

If they are bad I'll change them but I'm hoping to change the points and plugs only.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

Thanks so much for the video.
It's exactly what I was thinking !
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

savemy67

Hello Brian,

I don't recall that there are any significant differences in the ignition system between 1970 and 1971.  If this is the case, you may want to take the longest of the 1971 NOS wires (since they are unused), and measure the length of the wire in inches.  Measure the Ohm value of that wire.  Take a few readings with your meter and average the readings for that wire.  This will give you an Ohm value per inch for the 1971 wires, which you can use to check the 1970 wires and determine if they are within tolerance.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

bcroe

Agree here with the video water and resistance check.  I would
not worry about exact ohms per foot, they should all be reasonably
close in value.  Finding a bad wire, I would replace them all. 

My expectation is that the big wires on an HEI will have a
longer, more dependable life, than that small cap, points stuff. 
good luck, Bruce Roe

79 Eldorado

I've mentioned this before but I've used a digital tach timing light to identify a single bad wire. Instead of only placing the pick-up, for the timing light, on the nr 1 cyclinder only I measured the RPM of each wire one by one and recorded the RPM on the tach. The one I was having an issue with read half the RPM of any of the others.

Scott