News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cones

Started by 60eldo, January 11, 2019, 02:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60eldo

Im just wondering about the rear quarter chrome cones that came on the 59 cadillac. Did all cars come with these or was it an option in 59. Some chrome, some painted, are they making repos, are they plastic or metal, can someone educate me,,,thanks
Jon. Kluczynski

Bill Young

Hello Johnny, If you are referring to the twin blisters that are mounted on either side of the 1959 Cadillac tail fins they were only chromed from the factory on the back end of the Sixty Special model. So if someone has them on any of the other models that is not factory original correct. I hope this helps.

60eldo

Wow I didnt know that. Cause I have a pair here on an old parts car, but its a fleetwood, and I know nothing about these cones. I think they would look great on a 2dr car or eldorado.
Jon. Kluczynski

David Greenburg

Bill is correct.  Over the years, it has been a popular mod to put them on lesser models, but the factory did not do that
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Lexi

Quote from: 60eldo on January 11, 2019, 02:33:11 PM
   Wow I didnt know that. Cause I have a pair here on an old parts car, but its a fleetwood, and I know nothing about these cones. I think they would look great on a 2dr car or eldorado.

In 1959 a 60 Special model was a Fleetwood. Back then the name Fleetwood was not specific to one model or even one series. Yes those cones are cool and I agree they would look great on other models. Clay/Lexi

savemy67

Hello Johnny,

From the picture you posted, your old parts car looks like it may be a Sixty Special.  Do you have a picture showing the entire side of the parts car?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

59-in-pieces

The Eldo cones were painted, not chrome.

Fun fact - there are 2 different cone designs.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

Steve:

Two different cone designs?  Is that because 2 doors had a longer fin structure?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

59-in-pieces

David,
I'm looking for some pics to show the difference.
Will post as soon as I'm back from my archeological dig.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

60eldo

yes heres more
Jon. Kluczynski

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: David Greenburg on January 12, 2019, 07:22:07 PM
Steve:

Two different cone designs?  Is that because 2 doors had a longer fin structure?
There are only 2 part numbers: one for the 60S, plated, and one number for the other cars; coupes and sedans have the same part. 4 are required for each category.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Leif2000

Hi..I know this is a somewhat old tread.. But I have a few questions on the topic.. I have just acquired 2 1959 Sixty-Two, six-window Sedan where I hopefully could build one car.. So on my car the blisters would be painted ?? not chrome..Also I have seen pictures with no gab between the blister and fender... Where some stamped part of the fender ? or are they all a clip/bolt on thing ?? Thanks..
1947 Cadillac Series 60 Special Touring Sedan
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Six Window Sedan
1963 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1971 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
1973 Cadillac Calais Coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Farings, cones, blisters, pods or whatever they are called are separate pieces from the quarter stamping. Can't see how there wouldn't be a slit where they meet unless intentionally filled in for a customized appearance.

Were painted on all models with the sole exception of the Fleetwood Sixty Special. Anything otherwise is an alteration.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

60eldo

And this is a fleetwood.
Jon. Kluczynski

Leif2000

Ok..Thanks for the reply....
1947 Cadillac Series 60 Special Touring Sedan
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1959 Cadillac Series 62 Six Window Sedan
1963 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe
1971 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
1973 Cadillac Calais Coupe