News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Air cleaner for '55-57 cars with dual carbs

Started by Roger Zimmermann, April 27, 2021, 05:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Zimmermann

In an old post, somebody explained what he did to convert the dual air cleaner with oil to a dry element. This is requiring some heavy modifications to the air cleaner I don't intend to do.
He wrote that he removed the original cleaning agent which is "horse hair". Is that true and is this material still available? My '57 Brougham is since I restored it experiencing a severe air restriction when the air cleaner is installed; I stuffed then the empty drums with some stainless steel cleaning pads. I have the impression that this material is not suitable for this application, offering a too great resistance to the air.
What are people using nowadays to restore such elements?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

signart

You might try something like this, stainless steel wool. Less restrictive I would imagine.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qoAAAMXQgyZSCCQr/s-l1600.jpg
Art D. Woody

fishnjim

I suspect the material you put in was too "tight" or too much was placed in/compressed.   You don't want much pressure drop on inlets.   A couple inches of water at most with flow(measure with Dwyer (draft) gauge).   
They used fiber and/or metal in breathers(still do).  Fibers are usually sandwiched between metal mesh these days.
I doubt it was horse hair but may resemble that.  That terminology probably originates dates back to the early days < '20s, when leather for seals and horse hair for stuffing cushions, etc. was common.  This is up in the post war '50s and synthetics were more common.   
For oily breathers, I prefer metal because you can soak it and clean it.   Some of these cavities aren't easy to open or sealed/crimped.   I don't know of anyone making direct replacements, but not an area I search.  There maybe some make specifics for the more common or paper conversions.   I'm pretty sure I found one for my '"P" or something that fit as it was the "coffee pot" style which was fairly common for 2 bbls..   Dual quads are much rarer in this period.   Some of these Cad air cleaners like "bat wing" were repro'ed so depends on which one.
Here's some examples of what I'm talking about...to search for over there.  Just to catch the big stuff like insects, leaves, etc.   The oil will pick up the fines.
https://www.knittedwiremesh.net/knitted-mesh/knitted-mesh-breathers-filter.html
https://www.steinertractor.com/ABC422?crawlparam&msclkid=28603c7d8ef8194189905cf5872be12f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20PT%20-%20Non-branded&utm_term=4583863976468407&utm_content=All%20Products

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Roger,

I believe you're referring to the instructional post Bill Balkie did a while ago when he owned a '57 Seville. I couldn't locate it -I  have no luck with the search function - , but he may see this post and comment or you could e-mail him directly. I believe he converted to paper elements by modifying the internal part of the Batwing cans.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on April 27, 2021, 11:05:14 AM
Roger,

I believe you're referring to the instructional post Bill Balkie did a while ago when he owned a '57 Seville. I couldn't locate it -I  have no luck with the search function - , but he may see this post and comment or you could e-mail him directly. I believe he converted to paper elements by modifying the internal part of the Batwing cans.

That's correct Ralph! Usually, I don't have luck with searching, but this time I had. He cut the bottom of the canisters, took away the filtering medium and inserted a paper element. I prefer not do that, those cleaners assemblies are too expensive for that kind of play!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks Art and Jim! the first link is interesting; could replace efficiently what I have now. Will search locally for something similar.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Lexi

Hey Roger. The single GM air cleaners from that period that I have observed, had what appeared to be a fine metal mesh inside the drum. As the odd strand separated, at first it did look like horse hair, but it was metal. Perhaps you could find one OEM canister for a single 4 bbl carb, and remove the metal mesh filter material and install, after a good cleaning. That could be your best source for your replacement material; as they were designed to be cleaned and also for the purpose you intend to use them for. Just not sure if one 4 bbl cleaner would do a pair of duals. You could check with Faded Fins and see what he might have, and whether it would be possible to ship only the mesh to save on postage. Clay/Lexi

P.S. If you do this, and plan to remove the metal mesh yourself, be aware of extreme cutting hazards of your fingers there! Been there, done that.

PSS 1: Faded Fins is Michael Bankes who you are presently corresponding with in regard to you search for 1972 de Ville radiator braces in the parts wanted section. Ask Michael about getting the mesh from a used air filter drum. He has a gazillion parts and is good to deal with, based on my past experience with him. Perhaps this metal mesh, or the part could be shipped with whatever else you may order from him and save further costs. Email: sales@cadillacville.com

Edit: If you wish I could measure the diameter of my 4 bbl drum from my '56 and provide you with the circumference and height measurements, if you think these will help.

Daryl Chesterman

Roger, since you are in Europe, maybe this company could help you out with your needs if you email them and tell them what you are wanting to do with your air filter. 

http://www.morandifiltri.it/en/filtri-aria/dry-air-and-oil-bath-filters/

Daryl Chesterman

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for all who responded. The Italian manufacturer can be a good suggestion; I'll have also to go in some stores to see what it's available. I also asked Michael Bankes; I'll wait for his answer.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101