News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Kanter Auto Parts

Started by z3skybolt, April 27, 2021, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z3skybolt

This is intended as a respectful inquire and hope that the posting of questions and responses will be appropriate.  I recently purchased a 1940 LaSalle 5019 sedan.  The suspension system is original 96,000 miles and very tired.  Replacement of the entire suspension/steering systems is being considered.  Kanter has every component from rebuilt shock absorbers to springs and all front end steering components.

I would like to hear from those of you who have purchased parts from them.  Are the parts quality replacements?  Are their rebuilds well done?  My only experience with them has been a fuel pump for my 5227 Lasalle which was fine.  Perhaps some of you may have had experience with different/preferable sources. Also appreciate any comments from those of you who have experience replacing suspension systems on pre-war Cadillac/Lasalle.

If you are more comfortable responding by personal message or email any comments will be appreciated.

Bob Ritchie
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

toybox

Hi Bob,                                                                                                                                                                                                       
          I have used Kanter parts over the years with mixed results. However as Time has passed it seems to me their prices have risen faster and higher then others. I tend to use them as a last resort now days but I am glad they are there  when no one else has what I need. I would shop around first. Applied Hydraulics is a good place for rebuilding your shocks from what I have heard from other folks on this site. I am sending mine there as we speak.                                                                    Best of luck with your project, Tim

Jon S

Not to badmouth them but I had a major problem with them years ago with an idler arm that I had my mechanic install.   The idler arm lasted about 30 days and developed more play than the original one I had replaced.  My mechanic at the time was the owner of a 1961 Cadillac and had been working on classic vehicles for over 45 years.  When I complained to Kanter I was told that my mechanic installed the idler arm improperly and therefore they would not warranty the part.  That was the last part I bought from Kanter.

As they are product quality improved since then I have no idea.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Rossoroo

Haven't had much in the way of experiences with Kanter, but I did have my front shocks rebuilt and my master cylinder sleeved by Apple Hydraulics in NY. No complaints with their workmanship.
49-6269 My First Caddy

Poncholover

As a general rule, most of the modern replacement parts are now made overseas and quality is rather suspect.
The old OEM stuff was really pretty impressive.
I really loath modern electrical items and anything made of rubber will be very short lived. And this goes for tires too.
:-\
The good news is that these old cars get better maintenance & fewer miles.
Flattie Caddy

Jim Miller

I used Apple Hydraulics for my shocks. Then I knew I had the correct shock. Then I used Coil Spring Specialties for springs. They make them to order by original specs. Other components I purchased from Cadillacs Parts Ltd. No problems with any of these folks.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

39LaSalleDriver

I have bought a few things from Kanter including their suspension rebuild kit and coil springs for my 39 LaSalle a couple of years ago. I also bought their deluxe brake overhaul kit and all new stainless steel brake lines when I first got my car. Personally, I have been satisfied in my dealings and the quality of items I have received from Kanter. That even included an emergency trip to their shop two years ago when my water pump went out on me a couple of hours away from their store.

What I have learned about them is that they don't necessarily have their catalog items in stock per se. In some cases they operate as a broker for other companies. For example, my brake lines were actually made by and shipped from Inline Tube as I recall. The coil springs were actually made by and shipped from Eaton Detroit Springs. When I visited their shop I was talking to one of the brothers (I believe it was Fred) and he indicated to me that at least some of their upholstery kits came from LeBaron Bonney which would explain why the no longer offer them in their catalog anymore.

When I did my suspension, I bought their "standard" rebuild kit. As it turned out, I didn't need the king pins so I've got those stored away for "just in case". Thinking the possibility was high that the bushings were Chinese made, I bought NOS vintage USA ones for cheap on Ebay. Three years later, I have no complaints about any of my suspension parts. Of course, I routinely crawl under there to inspect, clean, lube, and adjust if necessary anything that may need it. Had I not been on a budget, I might well have gone through all the other suppliers like Rare Parts, Terrill, etc., but it sure was nice to place one order and get pretty much everything I needed from one source. Are they the highest quality of all time parts? Probably not, but they get the job done and that's about all I can ask. That being said, beyond the suspension and brake kits, they just don't offer much that I couldn't get somewhere else, and likely of better quality. For example, I would never use their wheel bearings or u-joints which I've been told are Chinese. As a result, I don't really shop with them for much anymore because I've gotten about anything from them that I would find worthwhile.

P.S. I had my shocks rebuilt by Apple Hydraulics and have been very happy with their work.

Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

z3skybolt

USNtar,

I believe that you have a 5019 also as we have communicated before.  Did you replace the rear leaf springs and also have the rear shocks rebuilt? Was it a difficult job replacing the front shocks and springs?  I serviced all four shocks and they seemed to work "normally"??  But the rear end will bottom out if I hit a real rough spot even when going carefully. Perhaps the leaf springs are just worn out.

Thanks,

Bob

39LaSalleDriver

Hey Bob,

Yes, I do.

No, I haven't redone the rear suspension yet though it definitely needs it. The drivers side is shot and sags noticeably. I had hoped to get it done last year, but the world went sideways and I found myself not working most of the year. As a result, I didn't get anything done beyond basic maintenance stuff to keep it on the road. With any luck, I will pursue getting the rear suspension done this year. My plan is to see if a local garage that specializes in vintage and classic cars can replace the leaf springs since I don't have the gear to do it. I'll be going through Steele for the proper rubber parts, Apple Hydraulics for the shocks, and likely Eaton Detroit Springs for the leaf springs.

Was it difficult replacing the front suspension? In my case, yes. But a lot of that had to do with 80 years worth of grease, grime, animal hair, filth, mud, and who knows what all else under there which had been allowed to build up. See attached photos to give you an indication of what I was fighting. After I had everything stripped out and cleaned up it definitely became a lot easier. I coated the frame with POR15 and like I mentioned, every lube job I do, I get under there with rags and cleaners and wipe everything down. I don't expect my undercarriage to be clean enough to eat off of, but I don't EVER want to see the mess I inherited again.

If you search around here long enough, you can put together a pretty good plan to do the project. On this and every major project I do, I gather all of my data first. So I scan the relevant pages from the shop manual, assembly manual, MPL, etc. and then I search this forum for relevant postings and advice. I then cut and paste those into a Word document so I can print it all out and slip into plastic sleeves which I put in a three ring binder. That way I've got all my documents handy on my tool cart and don't have to fool with 20 books, a computer and so forth.

For the car itself, I put it up on jack stands and used a floor jack to push the suspension arms up to remove and replace the bushings and coil springs. That actually went fairly well other than I had a hell of a time with the threading on the new bushings. It was tricky getting every thing to line up right with such pressure on it. I seem to have finally got it right as I was able to get the alignment shop to finalize everything for me and I haven't had any problems with it since.

I will say this, it's definitely not a job for the faint hearted or someone with limited tools in their arsenal. A floor jack and high torque impact gun are must haves to pull this project off. Depending on the condition your car is in, patience is also a valuable commodity. I think when it was all said and done it took me two months to complete the project, but understand I did it in the cold of winter and didn't push it very hard. If I hadn't had to clean up so much, and track down and replace some original parts which were hard to find, I could have probably done it in 2-3 days.

BTW: Congrats on the new car, I know you were heartbroken when your other 40 got wrecked last year. Hopefully this one will prove to be as treasured to you in the future.

Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

LaSalle5019

Like USNTar, I went with Steele for rubber products and Apple Hydraulics for all 4 shocks. I used Kanter for brake components and did have to send back a front wheel cylinder as they sent two of one side. Other than that, the Kanter stuff worked fine - but it is all made in China.

For the front suspension, I did find I had a bent steering knuckle support, so pay attention to measurements and how those parts look.

z3skybolt

Scott,

Looks so very nice.  Frame off.  The only way to do it right.  Appreciate all the advice and experiences.

Bob R.

LaSalle5019

Only had the front clip off.  Mine is really a driver.  The 1939 and 1940 share a lot so if you have any questions call me....I've been through most of the car. I'll send you a PM with contact info.

BTW - That is a super nice looking 1940 you bought!
Scott