News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

This radiator hose?

Started by Hammond B-3, April 27, 2021, 08:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammond B-3

I bought this reproduction upper radiator hose for the 1967 Eldorado from a certain vendor out of California. It doesn't match up at all. Even smaller diameter. Both have Same part number 149 1581 printed on hose. Any Eldorado guys tell me if this could be a mistake?

TJ Hopland

I can't quite tell from the angle of the photo if maybe its for the 472/500 engine?    Those had a funky extra bend in the engine end because it had to curve away from the AC compressor which was top center and then over it.    Not sure how they got the wrong part number.

Did you buy it based on the part number of the existing one?  Or the application?    67 Eldo may have been a one year one model only application. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

tmdeturck

It looks like the wrong part number was stamped on that repro hose.  Here is a competitor's site that shows the style variations by year:

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/products.asp?dept=187
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

Hammond B-3

Yeah, I think you're right on Terry. That McFusick has it right and for almost 40% less $$. That other site said explicitly 1967 Eldorado no other years listed with it either. Oh well. That's fun. Thanks guys.

67 Cadillac

I bought replacements, both upper and lower for my 67 Eldorado from Fusick. The ID and OD for that matter were to small. Couldn't use them. They are in a box somewhere with all of my other spare parts. My upper from Fusick didn't look like the one you have though. Mine looked like the original but smaller. Lol! There is something to said about NOS.

Cheers
J

Hammond B-3

I don't mean to keep going on about this, but I called the vendor and he said it must be fine because he's sold others with no complaints. It doesn't even fit over the thermostat housing and the fan would shred it even if it did etc. this can't be the right one. For one thing the thermostat housing would have to at like a 45 degree angle which mine is not on the 429.

Bottom photo is an example of a 67 that has one like my original

TJ Hopland

The 472/500/425 water outlet is straight up too but then the hose jogs a bit to go around the AC compressor.  That hose doesn't look like its got that jog so don't know what its for.

Eldo's I suspect are different because the engine sits off center and higher compared to the RWD cars.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Hammond B-3

The confusion and frustration grows as the lower radiator hose also doesn't have a chance in hell of working. These 2 hoses were purchased from a vendor specializing in Cadillac reproduction parts. If there's any variation in specs for a single part it would be who of the vendor to make that distinction I would think. I don't think there is any variation in this for this part. The only differences in the 67 Eldorados was with or without A/C or California cars with A.I.R. System which I wouldn't think would require any design differences in a radiator hose. The angles from connection to connection are wildly off.

Roger Zimmermann

Is that an optical illusion? On the first picture, the angles are not too far apart. It's however different on the second picture. The curve on the original hose is probably needed to clear the belts.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

tmdeturck

That new hose looks like a 76 eldorado lower to me, can't be quite sure.

I've often found that once a car gets to be over 20 years old, I have to check multiple suppliers and confirm dimensions before I order anything, particularly for parts that have little forgiveness for generic.  You would like to be able to trust what a vendor tells you, but on low volume parts like these it seems like corrections in terms of feedback thru current purchases does not happen on a rapid timeline.  I wonder how long this vendor has been making these particular hoses and how many were actually sold.
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019

fishnjim

I guess you have to determine if your car has been modified or exactly what model/options you have.
The same part number can be used in multiple years, so they probably went off the number not the year for stock.   
Vendors always use the excuse they've sold many, so they are right, but not always he case.   It gets worse the further back in time one goes as the paper trial isn't always available to them.   I've fought this battle and even when you supply the correct info they don't believe you.   They want sales, don't want to refund.
I'd go to someone like Gates, with a lookup, https://navigates.gates.com/ and look up your vehicle and see what hose numbers it gives for it.   They'll have the GM and Gates number.   A lot of hoses these days are cut to fit.   They sell them so they fit the most models.