News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power Steering conversion

Started by 49 Caddy, May 01, 2021, 12:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

I am new to this forum, so please go easy on me.  I have a 1949 Cadillac Series 61 I need to convert to power steering.  I have an opportunity to buy a column set-up from a 1953.  Thoughts, recommendations, answers.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have it on a 2-post lift with the motor and front end removed back to the firewall.  Frame is willing and waiting.  I also have purchased the disc brake conversion kit.

jackworstell

We installed an electric power steering unit  ( from a Saturn )  in our 1937 Buick

And an EPS from an Equinox ( which used the same unit) in our 1937 Cadillac

Wasn't easy.......but it sure is nice to have power steering in these heavy old cars

Jack Worstell

Poncholover

Pumps & brackets up to '58 may bolt on or take minor modification and are not too pricey. ( I have a '55 pump & bracket handy)
Since you are significantly upgrading your car with disks, a newer 2 piece column & box might be a less cumbersome way to go.
Pontiac & Olds first got a 2 piece setup for PS in '57 and perhaps Caddy was the same? This may open many greater possibilities for a steering gear. What ever you decide to do,  1970s-'80s modern columns in a traditional car really looks asinine so I pray you not go that way!

Let's see what the experts have to contribute!
Flattie Caddy

49 Caddy

Was going to go with the EPAS electric power steering set-up until they told me I would have to convert my column shift to the floor.  They do not make a unit for internal auto column shift.  I need to have power steering and brakes due to the fact I am outfitting this so my handicapped wife can join in the fun.  She drives with hand controls & would only have (1) available hand to steer with.  Also was looking at the conversion kit for a 49 Chevrolet that bolts onto the frame.  Vendoe said he had a gear that would work for a Cadillac.  Thoughts?