News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel filter assembly housing bent

Started by 5960Special, May 02, 2021, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5960Special

Hello all,
I have a '59 Fleetwood w/o AC. Since purchasing the car, I've replaced the fuel filter a few times and repeatedly had fuel leaks at the filter assembly. I faulted the poor fitting replacement gasket. But I have now removed the assembly and confirmed the housing is bent. I'm not having luck locating a proper replacement AC assembly. (any leads??) Are these housings made of Aluminum or "pot metal"? Would it be reasonable to machine the sealing surface flat (maintaining as much internal structural integrity) or to replace? And mentioning the gasket: Are the cork gaskets recommended or the nitrile which are included with the replacement filter? I've experienced the nitrile gaskets distorting, but that could be due to being pressed into an irregular bent surface.   
Thank you for any help!
Sincerely, Steve
Steve Ehrin

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1989 Cadillac Fleetwood SDN
2010 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

walt chomosh #23510

Steve,
  I've fought gasket sealing issues on my 1955CDV and then found out NAPA carries the gaskets....walt...tulsa,ok

dadscad

I resurfaced my 63's filter housing so the bowl sat flat on the sealing surface without rocking.I used the rubber gasket and have not had a leaking bowl since. The trick is to not over tighten the clamp. That warps the cast aluminum filter housing over time.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Roger Zimmermann

This is a common issue. It can be bent back again; it's just a matter how to do it, but the metal is rather soft. I did that many years ago, before Internet!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

'59 w/o A/C uses the most common, GF-48.   The parts; bowls, loops, are available too.
These are in repro both W/ & W/O the AC logo.    cost ~$25-40.
Here's an "AC" knockoff.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ssh-gf48-m

The original gaskets are cork, and what I get when I buy replacement elements at NAPA(Gold).   They tend to seal better, but may not last so change each time you change element.  Rubber will swell and extrude, if not the right formula.   It's a finesse technique to get it tight enough not to leak and not so tight it damages.   Best to keep the threads and knob clean, lubed, so it turns easy.   Check for stripped threads.
If you want an "original', they come on E-bay frequently but may not be off a '59 Cad.

Daryl Chesterman