News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power Steering conversion

Started by 49 Caddy, May 03, 2021, 07:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

Good Morning.  Have already tried the Technical section about my dilemma.  Trying to find out what it would take to adapt a later year power steering unit to my 1949 Series 61.  Electronic will not work, they do not make a kit for a car with the internal shift linkage in the column.  If I have to do some welding and cutting, I am OK w/that.  Plenty of views on the subject, just not many replies.  Please help!

signart

I am familiar with '53 because I have one. Not at all familiar with '49, but I would think that everything would swap over from '53. I know pump, brackets, hoses and pulleys would. If the frame is the same the column & box should.
There are many '49 experts on here that should be responding to a new forum member and offer some info.
If someone knows the difference between the two frames, please step up.
Art D. Woody

49 Caddy

Thanks so much for the reply.  I was sure someone else has tried or done the same thing.  My wife has to have power steering, she drives w/hand controls.  Wanna be sure I didn't buy this second 49 needlessly.  Again, Thanks.

Bob Schuman

There was another type of hydraulic power steering used on some cars where the power cylinder and control valve looked like a shock absorber and was mounted to the steering linkage drag link. My former 1962 Chevy Impala was factory equipped with such a system and it worked as well as the integral systems on some other GM cars. That system was also used by Ford on some 50's and 60's cars, and probably on others. It may be a good choice for you if you can find more detailed information about availability, parts, and installation. I'm just writing from memory, can  not help with details.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

49 Caddy

Thanks for the response.  I'll do a little research.  Sounds a little like the contraption on my 71 Stingray.