News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wipers and Transmission Gasket 70 Deville

Started by Jvteach07, May 03, 2021, 04:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jvteach07

2 questions.

1) Any tips or tricks to replacing the transmission gasket and filter on 1970 Deville? I purchased an AC Delco filter and gasket from Amazon. It is leaking so I am going to change it out. Any fluid recommendations and how much it should hold after?

2) The wipers need to be SUPER thin to fit under the hood. Is there a special windshield wiper to buy that will fit?

New Top tomorrow my restoration is almost complete.
Joe Tortora
1970 Cadillac Devill Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only tip I have in removing the pan is to place a large, as in wide and long, tray under the car, and loosen the pan bolts, from the front to the back, but leaving one line slightly loose, and then carefully lever the pan on one end to break the gasket seal and allow the oil to slowly flow out.

What you need to do is use one line of bolts as the back of a hinge, and remove lots at the opposite end, but with one or two in place, but totally loosened to stop the pan from just totally falling.

It is all about controlled release.

As for your wipers, I try to retain the original metal parts, and simply replace the rubber sweep material.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Ike

I never had any luck with transmission pan gaskets not leaking until recently.   When I installed the one on my 69, I cleaned the pan and bottom of transmission mounting surface, and made sure it was totally dry.  Then put the new gasket on the pan.   I attached it loosely with 4 bolts, and Loosley  installed the rest of the bolts and alternately tightened them snug in a cross pattern.

Then went back and tightened them to about 15 Ft. LBs in the same pattern.   No sealant. No leaks
Brian Eichelberger

2019 CT6 Luxury
69 Deville Convertable
69 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Eldorado. Previously owned
71 Coupe Deville. Previously owned
72 Coupe Deville. Previously owned

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Way to start another furball.... LOL!

When I first got my 70, I was all "AC Delco" everything. That was over 3 years ago.
Now my filters are Wix, my gaskets are Fel Pro. The 'correct' wipers (AC Delco) are on Amazon. Part number ACDelco 8-2181

All the tranny pans leak, they leaked when the cars were new. Its why the owners manual says to check the tranny fluid every 4K miles. Some owners are just luckier than others with this.

Fluid? The majority will say Dexron, its what our shop manuals call for. They are allegedly back formula
compatible. 6 is the same as 3, etc. My resto shop changed my tranny fluid to FORD Type F. I almost fainted. The reason is the Ford fluid is slicker, greasier, more lubricating than the D6. I noticed the difference almost immediately, you can barely feel the car shift when rolling. YMMV with this, my tranny was rebuilt the year before I bought the car.

How much tranny fluid with a filter change? About 4 quarts.

PS your restoration will NEVER be 'complete'. There will always be 'something'. Have fun, we sure do.
:-*
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

bcroe

Quote from: Jvteach07. 1) Any tips or tricks to replacing the transmission gasket and filter on 1970 Deville? I purchased an AC Delco filter and gasket from Amazon. It is leaking so I am going to change it out. Any fluid recommendations and how much it should hold after? 

The trans can leak at the input or output shafts, the shifter shaft, the
vacuum modulator, the kick down connection, the speedometer gear
or gear mount, the dipstick, and oh yea, the pan gasket.  Best to be
sure you have determined the actual leak, before any work.  Here the
bad leaks get fixed, the rest drop into a big drip pan.  good luck,
Bruce Roe