News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Intermittent window problems, ‘67 DVC

Started by TCheo, May 03, 2021, 10:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCheo

So my front windows work....sometimes. They'll work like a champ and then suddenly cut out for no good reason. It's only the front, the rear windows work from the master switch. I might be crazy, but it seems like they work better when the doors are open. I thought this might be due to a pinched wire, but the wires look good between body and door and I have power from relay to switch to motor on both sides (doors open or closed) according to my test light. I get no results from jumping 12 volts directly to the motor. Could I have intermittent ground interruptions from body to door to motor? I want to pull the motors, clean, test and lubricate, but they look like a major pain to remove. Is there a trick to pulling these out? Anybody had these random widow issues before?
-Tyler
1967 DeVille Convertible

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like when the doors are closed, the rubber weatherstrips are pushing harder on the glass or the "wipes" at the beltline, which is holding the glass from moving smoothly.

But, there could be a wiring issue in the loom as these suffer from years of opening and closing of the doors.   A pinched wire will not fail, unless the "pinching" actually causes the wire to separate internally.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve W

I was having an intermittent window operation issue in my drivers side master control and I found out it was inside the switch itself. They have a plastic sheet inside ( for dust/weatherproofing) and over time your mechanical switch contacts will wear holes in the plastic, allowing it to move around slightly, and the plastic can work its way between the contact points and eventually block the contacts from making contact and working. I found a new replacement switch online and it's working fine!
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866