News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1973 Cadillac Rim Repair or Replacement

Started by David9465, May 10, 2021, 12:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David9465

Hi all,
I'm a new member living in Nashville. Here's an issue I'm hoping other members can help with: the lug holes on the original rims have been somewhat deformed by over-torquing in past years and they now won't properly torque to specs. Is there any kind of repair that can be made to the rims or must I purchase new ones? Any idea where to purchase rims with the same bolt pattern that match the original specs, and which will allow the original wheel covers to be used? Thanks so much for your help!
Nashville
1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

TJ Hopland

Eldorado or other?    Eldo had a unique rim to the Eldorado/Toronado and also a chance of some early ones disc vs drum brake.    Others can correct me if I am wrong but didn't the RWD disc cars use a pretty common for GM of the era wheel?  It may even be the same wheel that was used on the 2x trucks well into the 90's as well as thew RWD cars like the Caprice and Roadmaster?   So should not be difficult at all to find?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

David9465

Thanks. It's a Coupe de Ville. I've searched the internet for aftermarket suppliers with no luck yet. One concern is the lip on the rims to  allow the original hub caps to bite properly and not come off. Appreciate any further assistance.
Nashville

TJ Hopland

Hopefully someone will know for sure but I think as long as you get a standard steel wheel the hubcap will fit.  Those caps grip that lip where the clip on weights went and those were standard for steel wheels.   Pretty sure its a 15x7   5x5 lug.     Try looking up something more common like say a 93 Caprice.    Got any junkyards near you?  See if they have any 2wd chev trucks from the 90's or older.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

fishnjim

measure the rim and lug holes and spacing, and take a tire off and look inside on rim for stamped letters.    Match those with the size and should be good.   If you don't know how, search on internet.   you'll get a number like 15 by 7 and 5x5 bolt pattern and KK or some such combo.   Those letters for are the rim stock to match the hubcaps.   There might be a good part number in there since it's a later vehicle.   Then look up at cadillac dealer or parts list.
The other way is get the interchange book for that period and see what fits and visit a parts yard and see if they have or apply on U-needa-part or other parts services.   
Not sure if these are in aftermarket since not sure what size.   You can call around/search to tire places and see.   
I doubt they'd be repairable if they're that fatigued to be deformed.   The center would have to be replaced.   
Don't let the tire jockeys use the big dog impact gun!  Insist on torque wrench only.   Even the lightest ones are about three times the recommended value on full and no one adjusts or calibrates them at these places.   I'd also replace all the studs and nuts, since if they distorted the centers, the studs are stretched beyond service spec.

signart

Half ton GM 2 wheel drive truck rims (and some vans) from early '70's to at least late '90s were 5 on 5 and 15". They are plentiful. I don't have one of your hubcaps to test, so I can't say if they will fit.
Art D. Woody

David9465

Thank you all for the feedback — this is a big help! I have an original '73 service manual for the coupe deville, and it says 15 X 6 JK. Any reason to believe that wouldn't be accurate? If this added info triggers any additional thoughts, again, I'd appreciate it. I'll search the internet as well.
Nashville