News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need a scissor top installer

Started by CadillacFlashback, May 10, 2021, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacFlashback

I need the top replaced on my '73 Pace Car. I have all the materials but cannot find anyone who will install it-literally every shop I call is scared of the job. I am in Memphis.  Does anyone know of a shop to recommend somewhere in thr south or southeast???

Thanks
Scott Forman
'73 Eldo Pace Car festival car #12
'93 Allante (daily driver)
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
'52 Fleetwood 50th Anniversary
Some non-Caddy stuff too

76eldo

Contact Hydro Electric in FL and ask them for someone in your area that they sell scissors tops to.  Maybe that will help.

Is your Pace Car listed in the authenticity manual?  If you want to send me your VIN and body number I can check for you.
rachlin@comcast.net is my email address.

Tim Pawl has a wealth of information on these cars.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

CadillacFlashback

Yes mine was Festival Car 12 and is well documented.  I have talked to Pawl.  Thanks!
Scott Forman
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
Some non-Caddy stuff too

76eldo

That's very cool.
Mine is #43. It's the one that was awarded to Gordon Johncock, the driver that won the race. I've been doing some upgrades to the chrome and interior and did have a new too installed.
I replaced all of the weatherstripping. Get that from Fusick. They are $100 leas than the others that sell weather stripping but the important thing is that their parts fit perfectly.

Good luck wit the top.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

CadillacFlashback

That's awesome!  Mine did not have a glamorous festival experience but was sold to a family in Indy that cared well for her for the next several decades. 53k on the clock with a beautiful all-original interior. Needs a top and paint-has been resprayed once before, and unfortunately it was not a high-quality job. Hopefully I'll have her back to glory soon.
Scott Forman
'11 CTS-V Coupe
'78 Seville Elegante
Some non-Caddy stuff too

MaR

I did the top on my '74 myself. It was not terribly hard, just tedious because of how many parts there are.

76eldo

Mitchell,
You have skills that most of us do not.
I'd feel more comfortable pulling the engine than doing my own top.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

MaR

Quote from: 76eldo on May 13, 2021, 05:04:01 PM
Mitchell,
You have skills that most of us do not.
I'd feel more comfortable pulling the engine than doing my own top.
Thanks!
I was really apprehensive about trying it myself after hearing how hard it was supposed to be. Once I actually got into it and learned how it actually worked, it was not really that bad. I could probably be coerced into doing one for someone with the understanding that it's actually a fairly long process to do it right. I would guess that is why not many shops want to even try these days. Also, it's almost a given that there will be some parts of the frame that will have to be replaced when a new top is installed.

rgmxk22

I have a 76 Eldo convertible that was my late father's and about 15 years ago, dad and I replaced the scissor top on it ourselves. I was a lot of work but we got it done and still looks good. The worst part is that you have to actually unbolt the top frame from the inner quarter panels and with a helper, lift the top frame up out of the body and set it on padding placed on top of the panel between the trunk lid and the top well.

If anyone is considering this job themselves, get a copy of the Fisher Body manual for your year car since at least in the 1976 Fisher, they have excellent instructions on how to replace the top and are invaluable when tackling this job. Also, don't cheap out, buy a good top, rear window, frame pads, hold down cables, the rain gutter and the top well top since more than likely your current stuff needs replacing anyway and it all has to come apart, so you might as well do it right the first time.

Be prepared to work on it slowly and it will take you a few days/weeks at least to get it right. I am sure a upholstery shop could do it faster, but it is such a big project and I understand why some of them wouldn't take it on. In fact, a local top guy had retired when the top on dad's car needed a new top and that's a big reason why we did the job ourselves. Since if he was working, we would of just had him do it since he was really good at his job.

But right after we finished replace the top, this upholster happened to stop by for a visit and we showed him how the top turned out. He said we did a great job and told us that the scissor top was one of the hardest tops to replace, so he was impressed how good of a job we did for first timers. So it can be done yourself, but it's not an easy project.

R. Michael
Ohio

The Tassie Devil(le)

I too can attest to replacing the top oneself, BUT, if in doubt, don't start.

I replaced a torn top on a '71, and it is a matter of reading the Shop Manual, and following each and every step, and got it done, with the occasional helping hand to assist with the heavy lifting.

I even added to my tool collection in purchasing an electric stapler, as my hand operated one that i had used for years, just didn't cut the mustard.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Plus, follow the top suppliers instructions as well, as they are helpful.

PPS.   Replace the drain and well at the same time.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV