News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 Deville Seats

Started by pablop, May 11, 2021, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pablop

I just got a 1970 Deville hard top and some previous owner installed Lincoln seats in it. I'd really like to have a bench seat in the front but I don't know where to start...does someone sell bench seats ready to go? I'm not dead seat on authenticity, just want something comfortable and not terrible looking :)

Cadillac Fleetwood

Pablo,

You will most likely need to purchase a complete seat assembly from salvage, and have it re-trimmed.  You did not state whether your "hardtop" is a coupe or a  sedan.  There are some differences, which will affect your search:

1.  All 1970 De Ville coupes have a "notchback" type seat.  Standard equipment was two-way horizontal adjustment. Optional was the six-way control. Since you will need the whole assembly, make certain to get the tracks, cables, motor and transmission complete.  Coupes with optional power door locks had a solenoid inside each seat back to release the seat back latches.  If you have power door locks, getting a seat from a PDL car is a major consideration.

2.  All 1970 De Ville hardtop sedans WITH LEATHER INTERIORS were equipped with the "coupe type" "notchback bench seat. Same as for the coupe, but no tilting seat backs and no power door latch release solenoids.

3.  All 1970 De Ville hardtop sedans with cloth/leather trim combinations had the solid or "straight-across" seatback.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

pablop

Thanks, I still don't know the proper terminology for my car...it is a sedan that used to have cloth over the roof and has no B pillars.

Cadillac Fleetwood

Your car is a 1970 Hardtop Sedan DeVille.  The Fisher Body style number is 70-68349.  Cadillac Motor Division sales code is B. 83,274 were built, Cadillac's most popular model that year.

You will find the Fisher Body style number on the firewall body plate.  The car's VIN incorporates the sales code, model year, and sequential serial number, in the following format: B0******, where "B" is hardtop Sedan DeVille, "0" is for the 1970 model year, and ****** represent the six digits of the build sequence including all models, beginning with 100001.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Now that you know what seats to get thanks to Charles, on Facebook try the "1965-1970 Cadillac Collective" or the "1969-1970 Cadillac Car Club". You may well find them there, or be pointed in the right direction.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all