News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

77 Eldorado width including mirrors?

Started by LandYacht, May 13, 2021, 08:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandYacht

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of transporting a 1977 Eldorado Biarritz to Europe. In order to be sure if it will fit in my garage, I need to know the total width of this beast.

On the internet, the car's width is listed as 79,8 inch, or 203cm. But I have a suspicion that this doesn't include the side view mirrors.

My garage door has a width of 230cm (approx. 90,55 inches), and I know it's going to be tight. The inside of the garage is 290cm (114,2 inches), which should be okay... I'm a slim guy  ;)

Does anyone know the full width of an 77 Eldorado, including the side view mirrors?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thank you!

Wbostoen

As i was curious as well, I measured my '76 eldorado last week. it's 209cm from mirror to mirror

EAM 17806

Quote from: LandYacht on May 13, 2021, 08:01:18 AM
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of transporting a 1977 Eldorado Biarritz to Europe. In order to be sure if it will fit in my garage, I need to know the total width of this beast.

On the internet, the car's width is listed as 79,8 inch, or 203cm. But I have a suspicion that this doesn't include the side view mirrors.

My garage door has a width of 230cm (approx. 90,55 inches), and I know it's going to be tight. The inside of the garage is 290cm (114,2 inches), which should be okay... I'm a slim guy  ;)

Does anyone know the full width of an 77 Eldorado, including the side view mirrors?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thank you!
Eelke:  I just looked it up for you and found the following:  Width 79.8 inches, Length 224 inches and height 54.1 inches.  However, I would add another approx 5 inches to the width to account for the two mirrors which would come to 84.8 inches. Remember, you have to open the door to get out!  GOOD LUCK, I hope it fits into your garage!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Wbosteon's figure of 209 cm (82.28") sounds about right. The mirrors are mounted near the window sills where the body tapers inward and are slightly angled back so they don't extend out very far.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

I would go with that 209 also.  230 doesn't give you much extra.   

For those that don't do conversions he will have about 3/8" to spare on each side. 

With that narrow of a door I'm surprised you don't also have a length issue.  Long narrow cars were popular there when your garage was built?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Roger Zimmermann

230 cm is the standard in Europe for garage doors. Fortunately, I have a wider door in my store room but at home I have the standard one. I used to come home from time to time with one of my older cars; it's not quite easy to enter without touching something; with some practice it's possible. However as my '72 de Ville is longer than the 56 or 57, I will just park on the street for a short time if I'm coming home with it.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101