News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Restore or Sell Brougham?

Started by 90brougham5.7, May 09, 2021, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

90brougham5.7

First post on here! I have a 1990 Fleetwood Brougham with white interior, Astro roof, 5.7, and 298k miles. I used to have a much better equipped one that my grandma gave me. Her boyfriend won the lottery and had built that one perfectly in 1990 new.

I picked my current one up cause I rarely see them come on the market. It's a rough example and needs a full restoration. I'd like to make it identical to my original. What can I expect that to cost, is it worth it, or should I give up and sell it? I make less than six figures and am under 30, but I want to complete it-or give someone else the opportunity to save it.

MaR

Rust would be the biggest factor in worthiness of a restoration. Rust can be the difference between a $5000 paint job and a $25000 body repair and paint job. The drivetrain in a Brougham is fairly generic GM so that would not be that pricey to restore. The interior should not be that bad as donor parts should be easy to come by.

signart

It's not that your car is not worth much because of the condition, because it is worth something because of the 5.7.   It would make a good swap for a project of some sort. There are good examples of the car you desire still out there that need little if any restoration. You would be much better of searching for the best example available and save a ton of money, time and work. That's just my opinion of course.
Art D. Woody

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Restoration cost will be many times what any 300k mile 1991 would be worth when completed. Better to find another car.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Chuckchinn

I had a 92 brougham I was fixing up. Urs is the d elegance if you have the 5.7 liter. Mine was the 5.0. Everything mechanical was in great shape at 187,000 and cost very little (less than $500) to get it road worthy. I took it on 2 road trips and it was the smoothest ride I've ever taken. I needed both back quarter panels replaced it was gonna run me 8 to 10 thousand to answer ur question tho.